PDA

View Full Version : What is an attractive website, in your opinion!

SilverAce
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Lets have this discussion. What, in your opinion, is the best way to layout a website to make it attractive for viewers? This should be fun to hear peoples input, I think we all could have a lot of good input to help each other out

Here are the few of the things you should comment on.

1. Layout - where do you like your bars, content, ads, etc.
2. Color composition and design - How appealing are the graphics and color coordination.
3. Content - How large should content be, how much per page, should you put pictures with text, etc.
4. Extra comments - Ease of use, how viewers prefer this versus others, what separates it from the pack, etc.
5. Please put a link to a site that comes close to what you like

I look forward to hearing your opinions, I'll start with one that I like.

SilverAce
01-19-2012, 04:22 PM
In my opinion, I like very clean basic websites with great color coordination.

1. Layout - I like the layout to be very standard with header side bars and footer.

2. Color - Color is huge in my opinion, I love color coordination because I think it appeals to the general population. I also like less graphics, more of a minimalist style. On top of that I don't like textures (or too many graphics), because I think they draw away from the content.

3. Content - I really like when content is separate and is easy to find what I'm looking for. So having larger font and bold headers is key - as well as having large enough margins between separate content.

4. Etra stuff - I really am a minimalist (less is more) when it comes to sites. I am because I think viewers have a small attention span and want to find what they need FAST. So less clutter, less everything per page.

5. My example is the Groupon (http://www.groupon.com/) website. I think they have great color composition, just enough graphics and very straight to the point.

Any opinions?

scifin
01-19-2012, 09:45 PM
There are sites online that show nothing but great css webpages; you should start there so you can get some ideas of things you'd like to incorporate into your own page.

Try http://http://bestwebgallery.com/ and http://www.awwwards.com/ or just search google for best css websites or award winning websites.

edbr
01-20-2012, 12:12 AM
I pretty much agree with silverace, Images though can be paramount to a sites appeal.

easy access ie navigation , ability to get relevant content quickly ( not clicks away from the home page) ,and easy to read.

SilverAce
01-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Com'on guys! We need more input than this. I really want to hear from people, your opinions will give a lot of insight for new designers.

edbr
01-20-2012, 01:51 AM
there no one opinion, some love flashy 'busy' sites, some minamalist, some like cutesy cutesy style etc etc
its for the designer to develop their own likes and dislikes and then also consider the clients needs/wants.
sites like the one's posted can show many picked sites but you will always grade the ones you like or dont.

Corrosive
01-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Agree with Ed. Web design isn't about one type of design being 'better' than another it is about designing for a brand and target audience. Two websites at different ends of the scale can be equally good if they do the job and attract visitors and sales. Personal taste shouldn't come into it for a designer.

Ricky55
01-20-2012, 05:02 PM
I do agree with you Corrosive to some extent. If we are talking about client work and not a personal site then a good site is all those things you stated but I believe a good designer should of course bring their own taste and ideas to the table otherwise there would be no point in hiring on designer over another.

Not saying a designer should try to push their style down a clients throat but they should definitely be bringing their own unique taste to the table.

If there was just one ideal design for every single site, web design / design in general would be a terrible bland business to be in.

For me great web sites can be found all over the place. I love to see a site when I think wow, thats going to start a trend.

Its always nice to see designers pushing the boundaries of what we can do on the web and not just sticking to nav bar up top or down the side, the obligatory jQuery slide show etc.

edbr
01-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Its always nice to see designers pushing the boundaries of what we can do on the web and not just sticking to nav bar up top or down the side, the obligatory jQuery slide show etc.

yes and yet it is useful for visitors to see and expect some kind of standard
for usability. I think each web you design should stretch you if possible and if you develop your own style then yes, that is what you offer however, some products /services call cfor a change of style while you own style must compliment that. Im rambling a bit but basically not everty site can expect to be a complete ne concept.
My

PS my pet peeve (one of) is standard issue wordpress sites that are instantly reognisable as one