PDA

View Full Version : A little help with text formatting...

dubstyle5000
01-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm designing my first website in DW and I'm having a frustrating problem. I created a div and used CSS to put a background in it. Then I nested another div inside of it so I could put in some html text. I made the nested div the same size as the original div. Then I pasted text into the nested div. No problem. Now I want to keep the text off the edges using padding. For some reason when I add 15 px of padding to all sides, everything goes haywire. The text hangs out on the right side of the div, and also pushes everything below the div down.

What am I doing wrong? It seems like it should be so simple... :-?

Ricky55
01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
First things first you don't need a nested div.

Just have your div and then put your text inside the p tag.

<p>your text goes here</p>

Then apply the padding to your p tag in your CSS.

You can apply the padding to the div it's self if you want but generally speaking I tend to apply padding to the child elements.

HTH if not come back

dubstyle5000
01-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Wow that was a MAJOR help... thanks a ton!!! Only problem now is that when I hit enter to create a new paragraph, the space is huge. What is causing that? If you can help me there I should be all set.

Thanks again, really!!!

Corrosive
01-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Wow that was a MAJOR help... thanks a ton!!! Only problem now is that when I hit enter to create a new paragraph, the space is huge. What is causing that? If you can help me there I should be all set.

Thanks again, really!!!

Just go into code view and add your next paragraph manually. It will turn out a lot easier in the end and you'll get to start to understand some code as well.

Ricky55
01-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Dreamweaver is a much easier application to use and understand if you view things view code view then you can see whats going on.

The design view lures beginners into thinking that they can just design a website like they would work in a graphics program.

Let us know how you get on.

dubstyle5000
01-12-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm a graphic designer (surprise!) not a web designer but I'm getting there. Code frightens me. Thanks for the help though guys, things are looking pretty good now. :mrgreen:

Corrosive
01-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Code frightens me.

All the more reason to dive right in :)

domedia
01-12-2012, 07:30 PM
retweet from @rohdesign "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." - Seneca

dubstyle5000
01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
retweet from @rohdesign "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." - Seneca

Dig it 8-)

DWcourse
01-12-2012, 10:54 PM

It would be interesting to know how Seneca diedů

edbr
01-13-2012, 01:24 AM
didnt he dare to assassinate Nero and had to drink hemlock?