PDA

View Full Version : Email Newsletter html nightmare

tahsin1982
12-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Hey Guys,

I kinda know most of the best practice rules in creating an html email newsletter with tables and inline styles.

I usually create it in dreamweaver and view it in IE and send page by email to my outlook. It looks great in outlook. The problem I face is when I open this in any web browser mail like ymail, gmail and hotmail, in IE the text all looks centered and the only way to fix it is if I make the main container table align left and not centered.

Also in mozilla the font which I decalre Arial does not appear but appear as Times New Romain.

The frautrating thing is when I receive email newsletter from paypal and etc they look perfect in all browsers.

I even downloaded some samples from
http://www.campaignmonitor.com/templates/

and theirs also has the same problem.

Anyone has any ideas? :idea:

tahsin1982
12-11-2011, 12:57 AM
solved the problem which was outlook messing up the codes when sending to another email applicant like hotmail and etc.

MODS can delete this thread if you like

cheers

DWcourse
12-11-2011, 01:07 AM
I'm just wrapping up an email newsletter template project that has been a total nightmare. The differences in support of CSS features between clients is worse than in browsers!

Anyway, I'm finding this page helpful: Guide to CSS support in email (http://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/)

tahsin1982
12-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Indeed it is ten times worse getting the css right in email newsletter than browsers!! Lotus is the worst to get the css right!

Corrosive
12-12-2011, 08:45 AM
This is why you are better off using a provider like Mailchimp or Simplycast and use their templates. They've done the hard work and cross-checking for you.

DWcourse
12-14-2011, 10:13 AM
This is why you are better off using a provider like Mailchimp or Simplycast and use their templates. They've done the hard work and cross-checking for you.
You don't need to convince me, it's my client that needs convincing.

Corrosive
12-14-2011, 10:17 AM
You don't need to convince me, it's my client that needs convincing.

Ha, ha. Isn't that always the way! Client knows best... then they come back and ask why their server has been blacklisted for spam :)

mangofreak
12-16-2011, 11:17 PM
I guess it is late, but in my experience, the best approach is to keep it as simple as possible. Also, use a combination of old html tags and limited css to prevent major discrepancies on the way the mail readers render the newsletters.
So far it's been a compromise between jazziness and practicality. At the end of the day if you need the wow factor an image based newsletter can work pretty good.