PDA

View Full Version : How to go about it?

andkiet
12-09-2011, 01:18 AM
I have been designing/building websites for over 12 yearsuntil 4 years ago when I just stopped doing it anymore. Now, I’m in a situationthat I’ll need to do a bit work again. And I need your advicesince dreamweavers capabilities changed so much since “those" years. I have anetwork of distributors and need to create for each one of them their ownwebsite that shares the same look, layout, content, menus, etc. The onlydifferent, “personalized” part is going to be their personal info with photo inthe right side column. I thought about placing each distributor in separate folder– like in domainname.com/john, domainname.com/terry , etc. What’s the best approach without duplicatingthe same pages/files for each folder? I’ll do frequent updates toarticles/content so I want to do it once for all. In older times we used javascript to emulate similar functions, but it was a lot of manual work. Has thelatest Dreamveaver some of those functions automated so it’s easier to applyit, if java script or html5 would be your suggestion? I any case, I’ll greatly appreciate any of your suggestion.

edbr
12-09-2011, 01:51 AM
sounds like a database is needed to me then 1 page can change according to the selected name/id

andkiet
12-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, it makes sense to me, too. I also heard somebody mentioned that they did that without database. Would that mean they put contant in one folder and called it for each page?

edbr
12-09-2011, 02:46 AM
possibly, just not the way I would do it

Corrosive
12-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Agree with Ed about a database (CMS) being the best option but you could use PHP includes as well.