PDA

View Full Version : Video Format

pauldf
12-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi Guys

This will probably be a simple question for most of you up here, but I just wanted to get advice from those who know.

I am building a website for my band and I have almost every page done except my media page. We have live videos recorded from shows we have done, just your average song length videos so probably around 3.30 to 4 minutes in length.
The thing is what would be the best format to put them on my website so that the will play when someone clicks the play button, flv, swf or mp4.
I have built the site using CS3 and it is now just down to getting the videos on the page. Is there anything I should be wary of when adding videos to dreamweaver or is it just as simple as going into Insert Media and click Flash Video?
I would like these videos to be able to play from my website rather then having a link from YouTube, and I would like anyone who clicks to play a video to be able to, rather then having to go download a separate program to get my videos to play. Again guys this is probably a simple question for most of you but I am just wary of what way to add my videos.

Thanks for any help you can give.

dbepp
12-06-2011, 08:03 PM
When you say, "rather than having a link from YouTube" are you referring to embedding them into your site?
Remember.. those videos are probably pretty large in size.. I'd hate to visit your site and have to wait for everything to load.

pauldf
12-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi

Cheers for your post. Yeah I would rather have them on my site, then grabbing the code from YouTube and using that. I understand what you are saying about loading times etc. but, again forgive my ignorance to all things video here :), but is there not a way that I can have these videos , say stored on my server and have them load as fast as say the ones on YouTube do when someone clicks to view it? I reckon at this stage I might be gone off topic a bit, for a dreamweaver forum so I apologise to all.

Thanks again for your post

dbepp
12-06-2011, 08:27 PM
As long as your server can handle the bandwidth requirements of hosting videos.. first convert your video file to Flash video (.flv), and then embed, or insert media, a Flash controller (.swf) on your web page...
Remember, no video will play in a web browser without some type of plug-in (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_%28computing%29) ("add-on" software that allows a web browser to handle non-html content).. That's why I suggest using Flash.. since so many people already have it. That way people don't have to install another "plug-in" to view your video.

DWcourse
12-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Of course your .flv videos won't play on iPads and iPhones. For that you need HTML5 or .flv with an HTML5 fallback. Either way, you're going to need to save 2 or 3 copies of your video in different formats for different browsers. It's a royal pain.

domedia
12-07-2011, 02:03 PM
And YouTube are experts at delivering video. :)
Flash and HTML5 (without plugins).

Another benefit is that the video will now be available on the worlds largest video web site. Now your band has another venue of connecting to future fans.

What is your main concern about using YouTube for this?

Rob_Che
12-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Youtube or Vimeo for me. Your server won't serve video better than the big boys. If you want to have them locally though, I'd use JW Player and get them in MP4 format.

pauldf
12-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Cheers guys for all the advice, to be honest you are all right. I am making a lot of work for myself when I could just let YouTube take care of all that for me.

My reason for not wanting to use youtube will probably sound stupid but here goes when you play a video on youtube and it finishes, the little window loads up with other videos from different people. I was hoping just to have my videos in such a way that once they finish playing they will close and no one elses videos will appear, but if that is the price to pay for making life easy I'll take it.

An dbepp had a valid point about loading times etc. I would rather use YouTube then have people get board of waiting for my videos to load and leave the site. And you are right DWcourse if I have to get different formats up there, 6 videos suddenly could turn into 18 videos.

I suppose YouTube is one of the biggest out there, and they are that for a reason :)

Thanks again for all your advice guys much appreciated

dbepp
12-11-2011, 02:19 PM
My reason for not wanting to use youtube will probably sound stupid but here goes when you play a video on youtube and it finishes, the little window loads up with other videos from different people. I was hoping just to have my videos in such a way that once they finish playing they will close and no one elses videos will appear, but if that is the price to pay for making life easy I'll take it.

You don't have to allow other videos to be suggested when finished.. in the embed code you just subtract the ?rel=0 from the iframe...

Click on the embed box on youtube and uncheck the box that states: Show suggested videos when the video finishes; and it will give you the correct code

pauldf
12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
dbepp you legend :) thanks a million for telling me that. It's all cool now, youtube videos up on the site with no follow up songs after my videos or anything. Thanks again to everyone for all the help and advice :)

dbepp
12-12-2011, 01:10 PM
What's the URL. I'd like to check it out