PDA

View Full Version : Making items same across entire site

jakenowatzke
12-06-2011, 02:51 AM
First post here. I know how difficult it is for pros to see simple things on a forum, posted by a newbie nonetheless, but forums have taught me much in the past so I'm back to the drawing board. I'm very new to site building and DW.

I have a template, downloaded from a template site, and I am working to fashion it to my liking. My first problem I'd like to solve is making changes across the entire site, on all pages- my most immediate case being changing the text in a box on the menu bar at the top of the page.
I have Home, About Us, Services, Blog, and Contact Us
Say I want to change the "Services" to read XXXXX, across all pages that currently exist. How do I do this?
Thanks for donating some of your time in advance. Classes at the local college require too many prerequisites, so I find myself using the same type of forums I've always used to help me in my personal endeavors.
Peace!
Jake

edbr
12-06-2011, 03:19 AM
well depends frankly, is the menu an include file? maybe the best way is to post the code form one page.

BullDog
12-06-2011, 03:26 AM
Look into using php includes. pulling blocks of code from individual php files, allows you to make all your changes in one spot. I generally use one for the header/logo, navigation, footer, and sidebar if I have one.

Makes for easy changes/updates and keeps the code much cleaner as well. I break each of those sections into divs which is where I use the php include. the only content is put in a content div on its own for each page.

http://www.norcalaircooledgroup.org/matt2/temp/layout.png