PDA

View Full Version : article re seo an web design

edbr
12-02-2011, 01:08 AM
This came through on their usual newsletter , i thought it was a reasonable article that might warrant some discussion here

article on sitepoint (http://www.sitepoint.com/why-seo-comes-first/)

domedia
12-02-2011, 03:25 AM
The most interesting thing in that article is that it gives you insight in how some people in the very shady SEO industry think. 9 out of 10 'SEO' people I meet does not know the basics of what their supposed to be experts at.

The start of a web project does not start with finding keywords or other SEO related tasks. It starts with overall business objectives. And who knows, as a part of that, keyword research might come in. But let there be no doubt, not having a person do 'SEO' on your web site is not going to stop it being a success. It's like a HTML guy claiming that valid HTML is the end goal of a web site. bollocks :)

DWcourse
12-02-2011, 04:24 AM
Coincidentally, I was talking with a usability expert last night and her position was that you wouldn't start with either of these. You begin by establishing:

The purpose of the site (mission statement)
The audience of the site (target markets/demographics)
The desired outcome (calls to action)

After you have a handle on all of that you can begin wireframing. Once you have the wireframes, you can bring in the designer and the SEO (although they may be part of the earlier discussions).

And, of course, there's no reason designers and SEOs can't work together. The problems occur when designers and SEOs (and throw in developers) don't work together. When that's the case, it really doesn't matter who starts the process.

edbr
12-02-2011, 04:29 AM
But let there be no doubt, not having a person do 'SEO' on your web site is not going to stop it being a success. It's like a HTML guy claiming that valid HTML is the end goal of a web site. bollocks
i wouldnt disagree with that . My read of it is more towards the keyword research and content rather than web design, so i obviously dint spend care reading it. the main point for me was the final statements

in particular

Each party cannot be expert across the other’s discipline. It is important that each party has an understanding of the other.

We have enough bad SEOs doing that already!

DWcourse
12-02-2011, 05:30 AM
But let there be no doubt, not having a person do 'SEO' on your web site is not going to stop it being a success.

While true, not having the SEO for your site handled well will keep it from being as successful as it could be.

It takes a lot of different factors to make a site a success.

domedia
12-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Oops I meant not having a dedicated SEO person on board. SEO should always be looked at. Front end developers for example, should always keep SEO in mind. It transcends a few disciplines.

DWcourse
12-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Oops I meant not having a dedicated SEO person on board. SEO should always be looked at. Front end developers for example, should always keep SEO in mind. It transcends a few disciplines.

Then I absolutely agree. Only if you've got the money and you're competing in a highly competitive marketplace would it be worth dedicating a person to SEO or hiring a big dollar SEO firm.