PDA

View Full Version : Design View is blank - can only make edits from code

samanthas
12-01-2011, 12:17 AM
So about a month ago, all of a sudden design view became unless I am in live view. There were absolutely no changes made to the website itself, no changes with our hosting services and no updates to Dreamweaver. It doesn't matter if I open the local files or the files directly from the server. When I preview in browser, it's there with no problems. This affects all files/pages of the site. (I'm using CS5.)

I can turn on live view and edit from the code, but when editing text and things like that, it's just easier in design view. On top of that, it used to be that when I clicked on a section of code it would jump to that part of the page in design view, and vice versa. It does not now, which means I'm scrolling endlessly through code or using search to find what I'm looking for.

I have tried changing the workspace layout (none of the options make a difference) and I have checked the Visual Aids eye icon to make sure nothing is hidden. I am totally at a loss on what to do to fix this.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

DWcourse
12-01-2011, 05:02 AM
Mac or PC?

If you create a new page from scratch, does design view work?

Have you tried opening pages from another site?

samanthas
12-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm on a PC running Windows 7.

It does seem to work if I open a new page from scratch.

Unfortunately I don't have another site so I can't open any pages and check those to see if it's site specific. :(

Thank you for any help you can give!

DWcourse
12-01-2011, 08:11 PM
are the files you're having problems viewing online somewhere where we can look at them?

samanthas
12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
are the files you're having problems viewing online somewhere where we can look at them?

The site I'm working with is http://www.3dcorp.us. All pages of the site are affected.

DWcourse
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
That file works fine for me. It's odd that you're having an issue you might try rebuilding your preferences http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83912.html

Other than that, I'm thinking you might need a reinstall of DW but that's kind of a last resort. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

If you try reinstalling, be sure to Deactivate from the Help menu before deleting using the Uninstall program in the Dreamweaver folder. That will make sure you don't have a problem reactivating.

samanthas
12-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Wow, I consider myself pretty decent with registries, but I could not follow those directions at all! There's no folder named "Dreamweaver Preferences," and I have about five different registries with "preferences" in the name. I have no idea which I'm supposed to be looking at. I think my administrator settings might be a part of the problem, so I'm going to talk to our IT guys and see if something needs to be changed.

Am I just making this more complicated than it's supposed to be?

Thank you again for your help! It's very much appreciated.

samanthas
12-01-2011, 11:39 PM
That file works fine for me. It's odd that you're having an issue you might try rebuilding your preferences http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83912.html

Other than that, I'm thinking you might need a reinstall of DW but that's kind of a last resort. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

If you try reinstalling, be sure to Deactivate from the Help menu before deleting using the Uninstall program in the Dreamweaver folder. That will make sure you don't have a problem reactivating.

Wow, I consider myself decent with registries, but those instructions confused me quite a bit! I can't find a folder named preferences when following the given path. Am I confusing myself and the folder named Dreamweaver CS5 contains preferences, or am I actually looking for a folder named "preferences?"

I REALLY appreciate your help. No one seems to have many ideas when it comes to this one.

DWcourse
12-02-2011, 03:49 AM
I'm out of my league on Windows as well but, as I understand it, 1-5 are dealing with an actual folder and in step 6 you're dealing with the registry.

The point of renaming the folder is so you have a backup you can restore.

The same applies to exporting the Dreamweaver key from the registry before deleting it.

But beyond that, I'm at a loss.