PDA

View Full Version : Problem Creating a Template

General_T
11-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi,

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to create a template to allow me to add more pages to the website I am working on. At the web address below I made a basic page from the Template to show how the img for the header doesn't show up. Just click the "Recreatif" menu item under "Programmes"

www.tinnuts.ca (http://www.tinnuts.ca)

I can create the Template fine in DW 5.5, and it looks normal.

My problem is that when I create a new page based on the Template the #header img location changes from the site root folder (_img/Sittelle_-Banner-wendy.png) to a ref to my D: hd, see below.

#header {
background: url(file:///D|/WebSites/TINNUTS Website/_img/Sittelle_-Banner-wendy.png) no-repeat;
clear: both;
height: 206px;
width: 990px;

When this happens I cannot see the header image anymore in the new page.

How do I get DW to stop changing the location of my image file when I create a new page based on my Template?

Thanks

Tony

DWcourse
11-29-2011, 03:34 PM
1. Make sure you have your site set up correctly. See http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/cs5-setup.php

2. To create a new page from a template. Chose the File>New menu option, then select From Template and choose your template. Do not simply open the template and select Save As…

General_T
11-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Hi DW,

I used the manual DW CS5.5: The Missing Link and the Lynda.com tutorials for DW (essentials and creating a first website). I think I set it up correctly (using DIV's / Box Structure / CSS / etc.)

The site is up and works fine - that is not the issue - the issue is as I said in my original post - did you not look at the website and go to the link that shows what the template does?

As I said in my OP - the problem is not creating a page from my template - that is straight forward and a no brainer - the issue is why the location of my header image (which I used CSS to put in the header vice HTML) changes from the site images folder to my HD D: folder?

General_T
11-29-2011, 04:49 PM
OK,

Maybe this will shed some light on why I am having a problem with my Template:

The images I put into the header and the logo were put in these DIV's using the #header and #logo css styles (background - image).

I removed these images from the css and placed them into the header and logo via the "Insert Image" through HTML. Now my Template works as advertised - the header and logo images show up as they should?

Can anyone please explain why? Should I always be placiing my images via HTML?

Tony

DWcourse
11-29-2011, 05:02 PM
With the CSS in the head of your template document, DW might not be updating the link (although it should). You can work around the problem by using site relative rather than document relative links. In other words use:

/_img/Background.jpg

for the link rather than

../_img/Background.jpg

General_T
11-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi DW,

Tried it, but the images don't show up. Didn't make any difference.

Thanks for the idea though.

DWcourse
11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Then I'm back to Make sure you have your site set up correctly. See http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/cs5-setup.php

I'm talking site setup not page setup.

General_T
11-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi DW,

I checked it all over again according to your link and this is exactly the way I have it set up. I have had no problem server side - only locally and my images folder and local site folder are correctly identified and I am using theLinks relative to document.

So I am at a loss - but pretty sure it's probably something I have done - but haven't a clue what. :? :? :?

Ah well, thanks again

Cheers