PDA

View Full Version : background and structure

opcbonas1234
11-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi just a bit of a question do people make backgrounds from 1 solid image say created in photoshop or fireworks and attach it in the body tag as an image this way there would be no messing on with div tags as backgrounds and im assuming it would always be centered this way ? or is the best way to make a background through div tags reason be is it even possible to put div tag on top of a master div say 970 x 1000 i tried this with no success just kept bouncing out , another thing most of the default layouts in cs5 are all contained in an external css but i see some ppl are making there layouts inside the main html file , i watched a few videos which said its better being in the external css , anybody put me right ?

Tomcat104
11-29-2011, 03:46 PM
First let me say I'm a SPECIAL beginner, I began 3 or 4 years ago but my journey was interrupted by several surgeries. I now work in CS5 for what it's worth.

I now believe strongly in external CSS files, if you learn to use it your life will be a whole lot easier.

I used solid colors at first, boring then I progressed to using "strips" that I created in Photoshop (50x1600) saved them as a PNG and used the CSS "background" "background-image" and set the repeat as "repeat-x".

This is a good start but there is a lot more to learn. I try to only use full images when there is a pattern that demands a full image due to file size and subsequent load time.

Hope this helps!