PDA

View Full Version : problem with DIV sizes

songboy
11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi to all -
I've had this odd problem with some divs since I formed the index page of my site. Basically, I have a background div and on top of it I have 3 more divs which each contain select boxes. The whole lot is encompassed by form tags. Here is my mystery ! On the Dreamweaver page (CS5) there is very little space between the upper three divs. Yet, when you view the page, the gaps between the divs is much larger. The problem is that I need the select to spread out wider to fit the words which will be displayed. What I did was widened the divs so that they overlapped. Now the gaps on the display page are small (good). Unfortunately, when you change the resolution of the page eg in IE, the overlapping becomes visible and the page starts to look odd. The key question is : why do the gaps between the divs on the Dreamweaver page appear very narrow yet when they are displayed on the web page the gaps are much wider ?

An explanation would be very much appreciated -
Songboy

DWcourse
11-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Post the page somewhere and provide a link.

songboy
11-27-2011, 10:41 PM
It's the index page:
www.innersongs.co.uk (http://www.innersongs.co.uk)

Songboy

gentleone
11-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Why did you use position: absolute and not just floats to position those boxes? Position absolute & fixed widths/heights and text zoom don't go well together.

songboy
11-28-2011, 06:59 PM
I've never really broached the 'float' thing. It's in one of my html books so I'll check it out. The question is, does this point directly to the size issue ie what appears to be 10 pixel gaps on the dreamweaver page and then 100+ pixel gaps on the rendered page. Have the divs shrunk or have the gaps widened ? (It's a big mystery to me.)
Thanks for the pointer -
Songboy