PDA

View Full Version : cookie regulations

davidj
11-24-2011, 01:35 PM
How do you guys intend to handle the European cookie legislation?

Corrosive
11-24-2011, 05:19 PM
How do you guys intend to handle the European cookie legislation?

With stunned silence? Then I'll probably ignore it like all good Brits.

edbr
11-25-2011, 12:13 AM
send David Cameron to Brussels to do his Stephen Fry younger brother impersonation.
Hold a referendum.
Last i heard it was considered to be impossible to police whats the latest views?

edbr
11-25-2011, 12:14 AM
in fact

Websites are being asked to review cookie policies because technical solutions involving users tweaking settings on browsing software are not going to be available by 26 May.

As a result, web firms will have to decide for themselves if consent can be obtained

when people sign up to use a site
can be put in the terms and conditions
or should be gained via a pop-up window

Third-party cookies, used by advertisers to track users across sites, are likely to be particularly problematic to review and police.

One solution, brokered by the Internet Advertising Bureau, might be the use of an icon on adverts that, when clicked, reveals information about data being gathered.

Corrosive
11-25-2011, 06:15 AM
Surely the whole thing will screw over pay-per-click.

davidj
11-27-2011, 09:14 PM
It will screw all analytic data

But as I work for a corporate we have to comply. If you are illegal then someone could take you to court.

I reckon legal firms will be all over this as a money spinner.

I don't think it can be policed but you will be liable if someone receives a cookie without consent therefore teams of legal firms could be trawling the net looking for those who ignore the legislation.

davidj
11-27-2011, 09:15 PM
The French have changed the law in their country to suit analytics but still comply with the data protection part of the act

davidj
11-27-2011, 09:17 PM
http://blog.silktide.com/2011/05/cookie-law-makes-most-uk-websites-illegal-what-you-need-to-know/

edbr
11-28-2011, 12:10 AM
soif you have a notice on the page somewhere , even in small print, is that a valid escape clause do you think?

Corrosive
11-28-2011, 07:20 AM
soif you have a notice on the page somewhere , even in small print, is that a valid escape clause do you think?

As far as I can tell from reading that isn't enough. You need active consent, i.e. user ticks a box to say they are happy rather than it being implied by a notice and the action of visiting the website.

As usual with the EU though it all seems a bit woolly and unfocussed so far.

edbr
11-28-2011, 07:43 AM
very woolie, as the browser user in effect agrees or not to accept cookies as of now