PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Creative Cloud

DWcourse
11-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Adobe recently announced Creative Cloud, which represents a shift in focus from software sales to a subscription model. For $49.99 per month subscribers will have access to the full range of Creative Suite programs as well as additional online services and community resources.

I don't generally plug my blog posts here. But Creative Cloud is a major shift for Adobe and will impact everyone who uses their products. I think it's important to get the word out about Creative Cloud, why its critical to Adobe and what it will mean for users.

So, here is the first of two (or more articles) where I explore the topic: http://bit.ly/Creative-Cloud

I'd appreciate your thoughts and input; here on the blog or privately.

Thanks.

d a v e
11-14-2011, 09:15 PM
seems steep - not sure how much creative/master suite is? around 1,500-2000 dollars? and it lasts for at least a year, longer if you miss one or two upgrades.

might make sense for businesses, but what about SMEs? or freelancers?

DWcourse
11-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Master Suite is $2,599 with upgrades from costing from $549 to $1,399. So this is about the same as owning the Master Suite and upgrading annually (not that annual upgrades are always necessary or, given Adobe's upgrade schedule, possible).

Important: Adobe has announced non-current versions of Creative Suite will no longer qualify for upgrade pricing once CS6 is released. To upgrade to CS6 you'll have to already own CS5 or CS5.5.

Corrosive
11-15-2011, 08:34 AM
I don't generally plug my blog posts here. But Creative Cloud is a major shift for Adobe and will impact everyone who uses their products. I think it's important to get the word out about Creative Cloud, why its critical to Adobe and what it will mean for users.

You are right to bring this to everyone's attention. I will have an investigate and a read of your article later.

d a v e
11-15-2011, 01:27 PM
and what if, for example, you use only dreamweaver, and photoshop *or* fireworks? is there a pricing plan for that? i mean it's ok if you use print or video apps but if you never touch illi or after effects then is there a pricing plan for that? i'm curious how it works for the small person :)

DWcourse
11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Dave, under what's been announced so far your options will be:

1. Stick with the programs and versions you have now for as long as possible and then look at your options and decide.
2. Upgrade to CS6 and wait and see what happens. This will require CS5 or CS5.5. You can upgrade to CS5.5 with a 20% discount through the end of the year.
3. Sign up for Creative Cloud.

DWcourse
11-15-2011, 02:18 PM
BTW, the Beta of the Creative Cloud file storage and preview sharing component is now available in a free trial at http://creative.adobe.com/

My first impressions via Storify are at http://bit.ly/un7eS0

domedia
11-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Do they have a multi-user license as far as you know? For the creative cloud.

This is the kind of thread that makes me wish we had a system to promote threads to the home page. On my list now :)

DWcourse
11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Do they have a multi-user license as far as you know? For the creative cloud.

At the moment they haven't announced anything. I'm thinking about coming up with a list of Frequently Unanswered Questions. I'll add this to it.

gentleone
11-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Well written article and good research, Jim. My overall conclusion is that the Creative Cloud is the way forward for Adobe, but maybe it's also a personal preference to me. I'm all in for cloud based software, storage and sharing. Keeps my comp clean :) Looking at the objectives form Adobe it does cover a lot of usefull ones all together in one cloud and if they integrate an awesome project management system with it in the future, then I might consider to go for Adobe Cloud.

The free trial comes with 20Gb storage which is quite a lot, but a downside is that you can't share a complete folder (collection) otherwise I think I would have drop (punch :) ) dropbox already.

Anyways... i'll keep an eye on it and see how they progress with the features they want to include and looking forward to experiment with the Creative Suite in their cloud.

DWcourse
11-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm still pointing away at this because I believe its critical for Adobe's customers to be informed about this change so they can make some hard decisions. I just published another article, Adobe Creative Cloud announcement leaves users in a fog (http://bit.ly/um9wa9) - What programs and services Cloud include and the benefits and problems for users.

gentleone
11-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Itís important to note that these programs will be run on your local computer not in the cloud.
I'll take my comment back. My though was that we could have access to the Creative Suite as a web application, so this whole Creative Cloud is less interesting to me.

DWcourse
11-17-2011, 08:10 PM
I suspect the days of running an app like Photoshop in the cloud are still a couple years away. Since this was just announced and apparently came as a surprise to at least some of the developers, I'd expect that, other than a few superficial features, CS6 programs won't have much integration with the cloud features.

DWcourse
11-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Good news for some folks. Adobe will be offering Creative Cloud licenses for fewer apps for less than the announced $49.99/month for the version containing all of the current Master Collection apps.

In addition a Creative Cloud license will allow installation on two personal computers as per the existing license. However in a major policy change, the two computers can be one Mac and one Windows machine. Previously licenses were not cross platform.

domedia
11-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Where did you get this info, tell us more :)
What if someone only wanted Photohsop?

DWcourse
11-22-2011, 03:33 PM
In an online chat with Adobe Community Professionals and Ben Forta Director of Platform Evangelism. To be clear, this could change between now and launch. As for owners of one product, the subscription cost should be reduced to make more sense compared to the announced Cloud Pricing. I had the impression that that would include the Creative Cloud online service as well.

DWcourse
11-22-2011, 03:34 PM
BTW, I just posted Adobe Creative Suite: Upgrade, Wait for Creative Cloud or ??? (http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/adobe-creative-cloud-or-suite-upgrade.php)