PDA

View Full Version : Table Layout

hughveal
11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
I have created 2 sites within Dreamweaver where I used a table to layout the menu and a couple of Flash objects, but for some reason the Flash and also a Fireworks picture will not center properly within the specified dimensions of the table. Is there a way to fix this? Here are the pages that have the issues:
www.mildredendsley.com (http://www.mildredendsley.com)
www.womeninchristunited.org (http://www.womeninchristunited.org)

johnMoss
11-09-2011, 08:12 PM
changing your 'absmiddle' alignment to 'center' should do it.

hughveal
11-09-2011, 08:59 PM
I changed it from center to absolute middle to test, and it stayed in the same place.

johnMoss
11-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Then add this to your style tag up topside:
table
{
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
}

Corrosive
11-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Simple, don't use tables to lay out a web page.

hughveal
11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I tried absolute positioning, but that failed in a major way. I am trying to keep things uniform and also allow for quick changes to content. Using tables seemed like a good way to go. But I am open to any and all suggestions as I am a newbie to this.

Corrosive
11-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Absolute positioning is also unreliable unless you really know what you are doing. The key to stable page layout nowadays is using div tags for structure and using relative/natural positioning and margins/padding to get the items where you want them. It is called 'page flow' and requires an understanding of how each div tag affects the next when you insert it into your HTML structure.

Don't mean to heap on the misery but your text is also almost exclusively in images (menus and content) and this means that neither search engines or people who use screen readers to surf the web can read your pages. I'd really look at sorting that as well if I were you.

domedia
11-10-2011, 02:04 PM
I tried absolute positioning, but that failed in a major way. Right, that is not how you build a layout.

I am trying to keep things uniform and also allow for quick changes to content. As we all are :)

Using tables seemed like a good way to go. But I am open to any and all suggestions as I am a newbie to this.
Tables are HTML elements to be used when you want to present data that you often would put in a spreadsheet.

Can someone post a link to a beginners 'this is how you code a layout' kind of tutorial?