PDA

View Full Version : Adobe drops flash for mobile

domedia
11-09-2011, 02:24 PM
http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html

We will no longer continue to develop Flash Player in the browser to work with new mobile device configurations

With the increasing support for HTML5, this might be the nail in the coffin for Flash.

gentleone
11-09-2011, 03:39 PM
They know that Flash doesn't have a future anymore on the web, so I can imagine their decision. The future of rich animations is canvas, webGL and CSS3 animations.

domedia
11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I wonder what they think of their purchase of Macromedia in hindsight ;-)

gentleone
11-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Yes, I think they're scratching their heads by now. :)

And it seems Microsoft is going to give up on Silverlight as well
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2548975/microsoft-may-halt-development-work-on-silverlight-after-next-release

edbr
11-10-2011, 12:29 AM
ask not for who the bell tools.
i would have thought they would have waited and watched apple for a while incase of policy change in the circumstances. I guess they know the answer already to that

DWcourse
11-10-2011, 03:04 AM

I think they've done alright off of the Macromedia products. I think the real problem is Adobe management.

And speaking of which, in other news:

Adobe Creative Cloud and Adobe Creative Suite: New Choices for Customers (http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/adobe-creative-cloud-and-adobe-creative-suite-new-choices-for-customers.html)

The Adobe Creative Cloud consists of:
Desktop Applications — Every tool that is currently in Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection, such as Photoshop®, InDesign®, Illustrator®, Dreamweaver®, Premiere® Pro, After Effects®, as well as innovative new tools that are currently in beta, such as Adobe Edge and Muse.
Touch Apps – Starting with the six Adobe Touch Apps announced at MAX , 2011 – Adobe Collage, Adobe Kuler, Adobe Carousel, Photoshop Touch, Adobe Debut, Adobe Proto and Adobe Ideas.
Services – A version of Adobe’s Digital Publishing Suite for delivering interactive publications on tablets, a tier of Adobe Business Catalyst for building and managing websites, and access to cloud-based fonts for website design from our acquisition of Typekit.
Community –Collaboration features that allow members to share their creative work with other Creative Cloud members and forums to discuss and inspire new ideas.
We are excited to announce that membership to the Adobe Creative Cloud will be available in the first half of 2012 at a price of $49.99 per month for individuals and $69.99 per month per seat for workgroups, both for an annual plan.

gentleone
11-10-2011, 07:03 AM
And speaking of which, in other news:

Adobe Creative Cloud and Adobe Creative Suite: New Choices for Customers (http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/adobe-creative-cloud-and-adobe-creative-suite-new-choices-for-customers.html)
Interesting... and these lines are also interesting if you don't want to use their CS cloud, but prefer to keep on using CS for desktop.
With regards to upgrades, we are changing our policy for perpetual license customers. In order to qualify for upgrade pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest version of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions). If our customers are not yet on those versions, we’re offering a 20% discount through December 31, 2011 which will qualify them for upgrade pricing when we release CS6.So, from next year no upgrading anymore from old versions... you'll have to buy the full new release.

DWcourse
11-10-2011, 05:23 PM
So, if you have DW CS4 and want to upgrade it's basically $160 (with the 20% discount) now to get to DW CS5.5 and then another $150 to $200 (just guessing) to get CS6 when it comes out next year. So, by spending $300 plus just to get to DW CS6 :confused: . That's more than halfway to licensing the whole Creative Suite through Adobe Creative Cloud and you get access to some other features like TypeKit.

I'm sure Adobe is hoping this will convince most folks to go with Creative Cloud and generate an ongoing revenue stream for them.

Another possibility is that, once people are forced to reevaluate their commitment to Adobe products, they'll start finding alternatives. I'd say it's a real opportunity for Adobe competitors and open source alternatives.

johnMoss
11-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Another possibility is that, once people are forced to reevaluate their commitment to Adobe products, they'll start finding alternatives. I'd say it's a real opportunity for Adobe competitors and open source alternatives.
Could not agree more... HP got bumped hard on assumptions of brand loyalty and one might think a suitable poster child for the high & mighty in the cyber community.

domedia
11-10-2011, 08:10 PM

What are those alternatives?

DWcourse
11-11-2011, 04:46 PM
What are those alternatives?
I have to be honest and admit that I haven't really looked into them.

There are, of course a number of code editors that people here use rather than Dreamweaver for Web Projects. And, I've looked at the visual design environment in the Headway 3.0 beta (a WordPress theme) and, while it's a work in progress, I think it shows a lot of promise for folks who don't want to get down and dirty with code.

Photoshop users who are strictly photographers may find all they need in Apple's Aperture which is only $79.

I don't have many other suggestions to offer but I'm sure there are folks here who might. And, of course, keeping old versions of Adobe Software running as long as possible, is always an option. It will be interesting to see how many people will drop out of the upgrade cycle altogether and how popular past versions of Adobe software become on the resale market.

I think this whole Creative Cloud thing will play out over 2 or 3 years. That means that the ultimate Adobe replacement products might still be just an idea in some developers head.

I'd say Adobe may be the new Microsoft but without an Operating System to protect its franchise.

domedia
11-13-2011, 10:22 PM
GIMP for windows is an alternative.

Mac users have been raving about one, forgot the name, that is only mac of course.

There is _so_ an option for someone to compete with Photoshop.

DWcourse
11-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Could it be Pixelmator? http://www.pixelmator.com/

domedia
11-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Yes, and only $30.. I wish they had a PC version..