PDA

View Full Version : Site not compatible with Internet Explorer 7

Erin
11-02-2011, 04:08 AM
I am somewhat new to web design, but I am designing a website for a client. The site is done and uploaded via filezilla with no problems or so I thought. My client is using Internet Explorer 7, and although the site looks perfectly normal in safari, chrome, firefox, and even internet explorer 9, the site is not loading properly for her. The site is simple just rollover buttons and jpg images as the main graphics on the page. The buttons are working correctly yet none of the jpg images are. I have no idea what to do and I am in a time crunch, please help!

Erin
11-02-2011, 04:14 AM
sorry forgot the url: www.twistityoga.com

d a v e
11-02-2011, 07:05 AM
well one BIG problem is that all the images are HUGE, both in pixel and filesize.

you need to:
1. resize them to the correct size in your graphics application
2. export them as png-8 (no, not png-24) (jpegs only for photos and images with gradients that won't work as gif or png8
3. use some real text on the front page, and not use what is essentially a splash page - you're not giving search engines enough to find the site and making it possibly inaccessible to those using screen readers
4. test in multiple browsers before making a site live (google IEtester)
5. in IE7 the images load for me except the main twist-it image - because it's CMYK! (should be RGB)
6. omg - you made the whole site in images? please say you didn't ;) and without proper alt attributes too...
7. learn how to design for the web before taking on any other sites
9. go somewhere like here http://htmldog.com/

visually it's ok but otherwise this site is a complete mess

Corrosive
11-02-2011, 08:31 AM
We have super-fast broadband in this office and it took over 15 seconds to load the 'text-free' home page. Please, please, please take Dave's advice on board... And I mean every bit of it. You can't sell that as a website!

domedia
11-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Erin, a random page on your web site is over 5 mb big.

We all start somewhere and what you have to do now is to learn about the techniques and practices of web design. Thid has nothing to do with how to operate DW, but how a web page is made. Pick up a book (sitepoint (http://www.sitepoint.com/books/html3/)has a good one). Also find a way to learn how to optimize images for the web. A person without a internet broadband connection will probably never see the web site right now.

Dave's advice is excellent.

Erin
11-02-2011, 07:34 PM
harsh. but i totally understand i shouldn't have taken on this project without better understanding of web design. Your advice was excellent though and I will get straight to it. Thank you so much everyone :)

Corrosive
11-03-2011, 08:28 AM
harsh. but i totally understand i shouldn't have taken on this project without better understanding of web design. Your advice was excellent though and I will get straight to it. Thank you so much everyone :)

Yes, sorry but it is meant with the best intentions I promise. When your client comes back and says 'no one can find the website you built for me in Google' you are going to feel much worse. Best to nip bad habits in the bud now.

Erin
11-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Totally understandable. I resized everything and converted to png and it worked like a charm. Still a little slow but at least it is visible to everyone, my client included. Now that I have that up, I can work on the site properly and have to be rushed :) Thanks everyone for all your help!

d a v e
11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
i did say png 8-bit and specifically NOT 24-bit png (png-8 is equivalent-ish to gifs)

Erin
11-04-2011, 03:33 AM
Oh I didn't have an option of which kind, the option was just PNG.

d a v e
11-04-2011, 05:42 AM
what graphics application are you using?

Erin
11-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Adobe Illustrator

gentleone
11-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Adobe Illustrator
No, Illustrator does not save 8-bit png's for the web... only 24. If you have Fireworks or Photoshop then you can export your .ai to one of those and then save for the web from in there. I personally favourite Fireworks over Photoshop for this, because it's by nature also Vector software, but vector support in Photoshop (vector smart objects) these days is also very good to do this kind of things.

Erin
11-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Ok thanks I will do that!

d a v e
11-04-2011, 10:20 PM
illustrator cs5 saves for web and devices as png-8 and a quick google seems to suggest at least as far back as cs3

gentleone
11-04-2011, 10:43 PM
illustrator cs5 saves for web and devices as png-8 and a quick google seems to suggest at least as far back as cs3
duh... you're right, Dave. Why did I say that it's not? :)