PDA

View Full Version : Designing a Wall Paper

JJT
10-31-2011, 09:37 PM
I have been asked to design a wallpaper for a medical clinic. This is new to me, can anyone guide me as how to begin.

Also, how would you price something like that.

Thanks,

JJT

gentleone
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Just to clearify things... you mean a desktop wallpaper and not a wall wallpaper, huh? :)

Find out for what screen resolutions you'll have to make the wallpaper and then choose your favourite graphics program.

How much you'll have to charge for it depends on how much time you think you'll have to put into it. Then you can calculate a fixed price based upon your hourly rates.

edbr
11-05-2011, 01:58 AM
i just checked the wall paper themes on windows 7 and there seems to be from 1680 x 1050 to 3641 x 2048 with many varieties inbetween but with those ratios +/- them fit to screen works fine

Rob_Che
11-05-2011, 12:54 PM
There's no such thing as a fixed price job in my opinion - simply multiply the hours it will take by how much of a pain in the ass it will be and you're somewhere close.

gentleone
11-05-2011, 05:00 PM
There's no such thing as a fixed price job in my opinion
It depends, Rob. If you put the agreement with the client in a contract, so that both parties knows exactly what the job is about and how it should look. How many rounds revisions there are in that fixed price... stuff like that. I write in my contract that if the client wants me to change something after these rounds, it will cost him $xx per hour. But in my first quote I also do calculate more hours then i think it will cost me, because I know there are always bumbs in the road :)

Rob_Che
11-05-2011, 05:20 PM
ah yes, a fixed quote is fine - what I meant was that I never have a fixed price for a type of job ie: I do A1 poster designs for 300. If I quote a price I stick to it of course.

I have no idea if I'm cheap or expensive though.

gentleone
11-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I have no idea if I'm cheap or expensive though.
Jeez, Rob... you're cheap! hahaha... joking around ;-)

The more detail that goes into a design, the more hours it takes, the higher the quote is what works for me. I always want to know what the client has in mind by sending him to CSS galleries and pick 3 or more designs what he likes and/or dislikes a lot. Those designs tells me if I need to design a very detailed template or not and it tells me in which direction (style) I have to go. Asking for what the budget is, is also what I do, so that I can tell the client if I can do the wishes within that budget or not.