PDA

View Full Version : WebDAV for testing server?

Austintxous
10-30-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm tired of fighting with XAMPP over usernames and passwords. Its a mess. So I looked into WebDAV as a way to set up a local testing server which actually displays remote files so I can leave the server admin to the pros and stick with html/php/css/jquery --the realm I know.
The only viable choice I've found is BitKinex.
I downloaded BitKinex and got it to show a DIRECTORY of my remote server, but can't figure out how to get it to display a web page so I can use it as the Live View in Dreamweaver.

Does anybody have experience with this?

:<)g

edbr
10-31-2011, 01:22 AM
no. this seems an unnecessary complication for what is a tried and tested solution which is setting up a testing server using a all in package.

Test locally , upload when happy .

Austintxous
10-31-2011, 09:00 PM
A better WebDAV client is Cyberduck. Its an open source product. Works great, but I don't think its going to do what I want, which is to function as a local testing server but use remote files.
This is something that would be great to have. Windows' "web folders" is supposed to do it, but they've dropped the ball on it and nobody seems to be picking it up.

I personally think there needs to be an alternative product to XAMPP, as it has some serious issues regarding passwords and permissions. I wish I had the chops to do it!

edbr
11-02-2011, 01:22 AM
WAMP or easyphp maybe but in xxamp it is not tricky , just set up a new user name add a password and give global rights. Actually i just used xxamp for the first time in years on a new pc as I use WAMP usually. i can maybe hepl with the password issue .
WAMP is prefered by many as its easier to set up aliases though

Austintxous
11-04-2011, 03:38 PM
It should be easy, but I complicated matters by having a MySQL workbench installed, running its own database. Also it was using the same default port, 3306. When I changed it to another port, things went a lot better. But I did have to go into the config.inc file in the phpmyadmin folder and enter a username/password, and then do the same on the "security" page on the XAMPP index page. It took a while to figure out the sequence of doing these things, but I finally figured it out. Not an "automatic" installation, though, by any means.

edbr
11-05-2011, 12:50 AM
AH! . well done then. I must say i did notice they have beefed up there security since i last used them