PDA

View Full Version : Ownership of Domain

cocoonfx
10-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi

Guys I have a bit of a strange problem with 2 clients, they where both in partnership and they have both gone there own seperate ways. Both still are using my services.

However director 1 purchased the domain before they become partners for the company, he has since left and director 1 wants to keep the domain name forcing the company to stop using the domain name, even though he is no longer part of the other company. However director 2 does not know that director 1 originally purchased the domain name under his name.

Does the domain name legally belong to the company or the director 1? and do I have to inform both parties that its up for renewal or just the owner??

Would appreciate some ideas on this one

Corrosive
10-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Depends how it was registered. Private individual (i.e. Director 1) or under the company name?

cocoonfx
10-23-2011, 11:23 AM
private individual so director 1 owns the domain name... I can see this getting messy :o)

Corrosive
10-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes, so can I. All you can do is let them sort it out and tell director 2 that you are duty-bound to inform director 1 about domain renewal because it is registered in his name. Keep well out of it mate.

DWcourse
10-23-2011, 07:31 PM
When the lawyers get involved, I'd try to stay out of it.

edbr
10-24-2011, 01:37 AM
it seems clear that it belongs to director 1 but there may be a argument that's its development andworth is joint affair , that really is out of your hands its more of a divorce settlement

cocoonfx
10-25-2011, 09:08 AM
I am going to advise both parties at the sametime and then get them to go through nominet to fight it out... I am staying well clear of the forthcoming fight

johnMoss
10-25-2011, 09:55 PM
I am going to advise both parties at the sametime and then get them to go through nominet to fight it out... I am staying well clear of the forthcoming fight

Absolutely the path to take. I have a similar situation going on right now. I take all calls and make it a point to let each party know I've been contacted by the other and when. It's interesting that in light of that acknowledgement both are still quite discussive about the other, though when derisive language is used I make it a point to reference collectively better times previous... Patronizing the strengths as it were....

edbr
10-26-2011, 01:23 AM
its always the children that suffer .....

krzy
10-27-2013, 07:06 PM
life can be stressful:p

It's actually why it is so important to rely on agreements not friendship relations only - they can change in not organised manner