PDA

View Full Version : page is "loading"

dragon girl
10-23-2011, 03:31 AM
What program/code is used to create this "loading". When I first open a website and then click enter, the page starts loading and a small wheel is shown as the page loads. How does this work? Is this something dw can do? I am using DW 5.5. :-)

johnMoss
10-23-2011, 05:20 AM
What are you wanting to use it for? Those loading icons are typically used for used for flash swf files and in most cases automatically generated by the program you use to create them.

dragon girl
10-24-2011, 07:49 PM
oh, I like how it looks when I click on enter; I looks cool. I thought it was some kind of flash program that makes that spinning wheel.

dragon girl
10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
I am creating a website and was waiting to use that spinning wheel.

johnMoss
10-24-2011, 07:57 PM
They are to be avoided at all costs asa rule. It may look cool but it means you're viewers are waiting for things to load... Every second waiting people get impatient in a hurry. I mean after all, don't you too? :)

gentleone
10-24-2011, 08:18 PM
They are to be avoided at all costs asa rule. It may look cool but it means you're viewers are waiting for things to load... Every second waiting people get impatient in a hurry. I mean after all, don't you too? :)
I don't agree with your statement that they have to be avoided at all costs, John. Especially with Ajax driven websites such as Facebook they are a must, because Ajax content takes some time to load and a spinner just indicates that the content is loading. If users don't see anything happening (no spinning spinner) they might think the page is broken or something and hit the back button.

edbr
10-25-2011, 03:11 AM
yes i have to say im with gentleone on this, its a sign that something is going on and will not drain the attention span

johnMoss
10-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Agreed where necessary for sure. I gotta get better on context... :) My impression is she wants to add it for the sake of having it there without any other purpose than as a design consideration. In which case would it not be a deleterious element?

domedia
10-25-2011, 05:48 PM
A lot of times, the spinning wheel is just an animated GIF. You could copy it off your favorite jQuery script animation for example.

dragon girl
10-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Thx for the info. I found a preloader that will work.