PDA

View Full Version : Full preview of my internal linked pages?

DavidFaubion
10-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Using CS4. The preview of my site, not yet published, works fine for the initial page opened in any browser and will jump to external pages. But, the links to my internal site pages open as a text-only outline of the links in my widgets, limited graphics, background color, but without widget form and the CS4 template (thrColHybHdr).

I have Preview using temporary file" checked in Preferences. What did I miss in Site Definition? Does the site have to first be published to get a full on WYSIWYG preview of it?

DWcourse
10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
You've probably selected the links relative to site root option when defining your site. Site relative links (which begin with a /) work fine on a web server but not on your local computer. DW corrects for this when you preview a page from DW but that only fixes the page you preview. Pages you link to from the initial page will appear broken but they should work fine if you preview them directly or after you load the site to your server.

DavidFaubion
10-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Thank you DWcourse. Do you recommend a temporary switching to links relative to document for my preview of internal navigation and pages? Is it safe and easy to switch back to the links relative to site root? Once in Studio 8, I built a site with all my links, from the start, relative to document and had a tedious time re-directing the links as relative to the root when I uploaded. Will I face the same link-by-link re-direction back to the root?

DWcourse
10-18-2011, 11:17 PM
The problem is that switching the setting won't change the existing links.

There are some good reasons why more advanced coders prefer site relative links but either method should work without the need to change your links when you upload (as long as you have all the info correct in the site definition AND as long as the site you're building is going into the root folder on your server and not a subfolder).

DavidFaubion
10-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks again DWcourse. I need look at the Adobe DW documentation closer so that I am sure what you advise is safe. (On second recall of my nasty experience with switching links orientation, I was using CS4, not Studio 8, in online college class: Dreamweaver 101.)

It occurs to me that when I get my pages ready to upload, I can make a copy of my site files in another folder with the site links set relative to document. I will use the copy to test all my internal links (I know that DW has a links checking feature. It seems to flag most or all my [many] internal links as broken, due perhaps to the links orientation.) I will test the switching of links orientation my site copy. I will post the results of that here.

DWcourse
10-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks again DWcourse. I need look at the Adobe DW documentation closer so that I am sure what you advise is safe. (On second recall of my nasty experience with switching links orientation, I was using CS4, not Studio 8, in online college class: Dreamweaver 101.)

It occurs to me that when I get my pages ready to upload, I can make a copy of my site files in another folder with the site links set relative to document. I will use the copy to test all my internal links (I know that DW has a links checking feature. It seems to flag most or all my [many] internal links as broken, due perhaps to the links orientation.) I will test the switching of links orientation my site copy. I will post the results of that here.

Again, I believe your previous issue was not a DW issue but the way you were using it. There's really no need to ever switch the link orientation. If you want to be able to run through your site locally then use links relative to the document. This will work fine on your server as well as long as you have your site definition set up correctly.