PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Netscape Navigator anymore?

Octavius
10-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Seeing "Netscape Navigator" was a blast from the past. I mean, I haven't seen the phrase in 20 years.

Of course I'm using MX 2004 - do later versions of DW check for possible conflicts with Netscape? Just wondering.

I'm thinking that it is safe to ignore "Browser Check Errors" if they relate only to Netscape, or would that be a mistake?

Cheers!

Corrosive
10-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Official support for Netscape ended in 2008 and I'd imagine their market share was miniscule by then. Worry about new browsers in their native environment before you worry about "Browser Check Errors" in MX2004.

Octavius
10-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Corrosive,

That makes sense - thanks for the advice. I've got IE8 and Firefox Aurora.

Thinking of installing Opera, Maxthon, Avant and Safari, or would that be overkill.

Somewhere, I've a 'puter that runs on Ubuntu. Would it be worth firing that up, I wonder, or does the operating system not make a difference.

Cheers!

Corrosive
10-16-2011, 12:51 PM
I run Opera, IE(6 - 9), Chrome and Firefox. I also have people I can call on with MACs. Might be worth looking at Ubuntu because I think it can make a difference.

The trick with cross-browser is not to get too hung up on making it all look exactly the same. Looking good but not necessarily identical is as close as you will get.

Using modern standards should deal with most modern browsers. Older browsers are a RPITA.

DWcourse
10-16-2011, 10:21 PM
If you're using DW MX 2004 then the check for browser errors function is probably worthless anyway. A lot has happened in the last 7 years.