PDA

View Full Version : Looking for any beginner's tutorial/guide for Dreamweaver, please?

LauraP21
10-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Looking for some beginner's tutorial/guide for Dreamweaver 4, not video and in plain English -without heavy tech terminology.

In particular - how to start putting together a simple web site with a couple of images and text without hand coding.
Just the very basic how-to, to get me started, for example, best and simplest way to open and set a brand new website...

The manual that comes with Dreamweaver is a bit overwhelming for a beginner like me and I really need a simple start-up guidance in order to understand the material in the manual...

Any help from seasoned Dreamweaver users will be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Laura

Corrosive
10-16-2011, 07:41 AM
You could see if you can pick up a second hand copy of 'Dreamweaver The Missing Manual' somewhere. http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/books/

Octavius
10-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Laura,

I'm in the same sort of situation. 2 weeks ago I thought Dreamweaver was some horrible song from the '70's.

I'm using version MX2004 and found that the "Dummies" book is much more "readable" than the "Missing Manual" (800+ pages). You need a book that is readable from start to finish because I've found that you just can't jump into Dreamweaver. It's not like learning MS Word, where you can start typing and pick things up as you go along.

In trying to understand and use "layers" (a very important concept in web design) the "Dummies" book was much clearer and to the point.

I would recommend getting both books - which can be had for a penny each plus postage from Amazon UK.

Cheers!

Corrosive
10-16-2011, 10:57 AM
DW MX2004 For Dummies comes with a MASSIVE health warning. It was written 7 years ago and the web (and web design standards) have changed a hell of a lot since then. I started with that book and didn't realise that people didn't lay web pages out with tables any more until I joined this forum.

You can pretty much discount any references to code in the first 7 chapters and move straight to the section about Cascading Style Sheets.

Even then (as Octavius is about to find out) it talks about 'layers' as a way to still be able to 'drag and drop' website elements in Design View, because it is more palatable to a beginner, but this is also plain misleading when read in 2011.

Nothing against the book or author, as it was good for the time, but for a website that performs well in search engines and modern browsers you have to learn about semantic and meaningful markup and CSS control for your whole layout.

That might be why they are a penny each ;)

Octavius
10-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Pay no heed to Corrosive!

He only believes in typing out weird code! He doesn't even own a mouse!

Seriously, I stand corrected. Best listen to him.

Cheers

LauraP21
10-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Quite strange this lack of decent downloadable plain English manual!

Apparently something is wrong with whoever runs the Dreamweaver...

domedia
10-21-2011, 03:53 AM
Dreamweaver 4 is obsolete Linda :-(

johnMoss
10-21-2011, 04:21 AM
Dreamweaver 4 is obsolete Linda :-(

Er... uh... dare I mention I have a PDF copy of 'DW4 The Missing Manual'?
Laura click on my site below and scroll down to the network nerd & click on him. Provide your email & I'll forward you the book PDF. It is definitely the resource you're looking for. I recognize you're wanting to work with the tools you have, and to be honest I still have the CS4 version also, but what Jim & Toby are trying to convey stands quite valid. It is sorely lacking at this stage of the game. That said, in the least it will serve as a good training basis for you... :)

domedia
10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
I know there's going to be different opinions on this, so take this as one persons opinion:

DW4 is more than 10 years old (which is 100 years in Internet years ;) ). IMHO it makes it obsolete. If you want to continue making web sites, there's more value in using Notepad.

It's not good training for you to use it. Why? Because it teaches you to do things the wrong way. This makes it the worst of all alternatives. You're better off doing anything else than starting off with doing stuff wrong.

Octavious, 'layers' are not important in web design. At all. It's a DW term, that used to be a Netscape term for something completely different. 'Layer' in web design today only refers to Photoshop.

johnMoss, I really, highly doubt that the missing manual is free to distribute without the explicit rights to do so. We've adopted a no tolerance for software piracy on this site, and the same goes for other copyrighted material. Not picking on you specifically, just fyi :)

johnMoss
10-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Copy that & respectfully understood... Incidentally though, are we talking DW4 or the CS4 version here? I just assumed DW4 was a clerical...

domedia
10-21-2011, 07:16 PM
I did not think about that.. since the the OP named the version perfectly without typos. My post is of course obsolete if we're talking about CS4 ;-)

DWcourse
10-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I have a free, 2-part, mini-course (setting up/defining your site, simple html text editing, simple CSS text styling) that is a start (but only that) at http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver-mini-course (requires name and email address)

It's for Dreamweaver CS3 and newer

johnMoss
10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Hey Jim, just now noticed your IM; didn't get an email on it & I don't see a reply button... You're dead on track, definitely my bad, public venue especially...

DWcourse
10-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Hey Jim, just now noticed your IM; didn't get an email on it & I don't see a reply button... You're dead on track, definitely my bad, public venue especially...

Did I send you an IM? Now I'm wondering what I said.

johnMoss
10-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Twas the other Jim... :)

DWcourse
10-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Twas the other Jim... :)

I'm feeling better already:-D

domedia
10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
My name is not Jim, not even close haha

Corrosive
10-26-2011, 01:09 PM

It's got three letters in it though...

DWcourse
10-26-2011, 03:43 PM

Your loss!

johnMoss
10-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Hmmm.... Thought I had it down... The mysterious monsieur D... He seems a well shouldered fellow.. How bout Bif? 8-)

domedia
10-26-2011, 04:36 PM
I sent you a message John. It should clear things up ;-)