PDA

View Full Version : CS5.5 - How can I update old sites to be phone and tablet friendly?

YuleBLucky
10-12-2011, 05:24 PM
I have a couple of dozen websites ( html, css, asp ) created over the years using different versions of Dreamweaver going back to early MM versions. Now that the online world is heading over to phones and tablets I need to convert or update my old sites to be phone and tablet friendly.

I've bought CS5.5 so I can use all it's new mobile device features and for new sites it's near perfect however does anyone have any experience of upgrading old sites with CS5.5? - I really don't want to have to rebuild all the sites.

Any help, links, pointers or advice would be very much appreciated.

dbepp
10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
What are some of your site domains? and check out the article below to get your brain in gear for mobile devices..

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/05/02/a-user-centered-approach-to-mobile-design/ (http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/05/02/a-user-centered-approach-to-mobile-design/)

YuleBLucky
10-15-2011, 10:38 AM
This website www.brogansfulham.co.uk is typical of the oldest type of ( table based :( ) websites I need to upgrade. If I can create a process that can update this site then I can apply the principles to the others.

Thanks for the link - it was a fascinating - lots of stuff to keep me occupied for future new sites.

gentleone
10-15-2011, 01:34 PM
There is a lot more to it if you want to optimze websites for smartphones and tablets. There is no quick and easy fix/process which you can apply to all your sites. Especially with old table based websites.

It's also not only changing the layout, because a website that works on a desktop in an usabillity point of view, does most of the time not work for smaller devices. You have to rethink the process for smaller devices.... using bigger buttons for example, because there is no mouse pointer on them, but fingers that have to navigate the site.

That article dbepp pointed out is certainly good for alot of tips and you can also look into a term called responsive web design. Google it!