PDA

View Full Version : SEO and multiple languages

gentleone
10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Guys, I need some SEO advice.

I'm working on a project which needs to be in two languages. I did this before with another project where I used a little PHP script to do the magic. No language files, just a set_lang() function with a very simple echo like this on the page:

<p><?php echo get_lang('tekst in het Nederlandse','text in English'); ?></p>
Simple, effective... works like a charm, but.... it sucks with SEO (I guess)
This website is already online for 1 year or so, but if I test in Google with full length sentences... it's nowhere in the results. You would expect the result on no. 1 on the first page, but NO... not even on page 20... there I stopped, because it was clear to me there's something seriously wrong here.

I have to fix this somehow, but my first question is, how come? Can't search engines crawl the text like this? And obviously I'm not going to use this same script for this new project, so what's best to use? Are language files such as this better for SEO?

<?php
/* ------------------ Language: English ------------------ */
$lang = array();

$lang['PAGE_TITLE'] = 'My website page title';
$lang['HEADER_TITLE'] = 'My website header title';
$lang['SITE_NAME'] = 'My Website';
$lang['SLOGAN'] = 'My slogan here';
$lang['HEADING'] = 'Heading';

?>
Which echoes, through a little PHP script, like this:
<title><?php echo $lang['PAGE_TITLE']; ?></title>or is it not better to make just two directories on the server (nl and en) and make double pages with each its own language? Or do I get then in trouble because of duplicate content?

edbr
10-11-2011, 12:53 AM
i have used different directories for different languages, for the reasons you have stated. i do not know definitely if it is an advantage, it would depend on how the spiders crawl the site i imagine, retrieving only one language possibly. however i have not had any duplicate pages issues, language /translations seem to be accepted

domedia
10-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Are the pages indexed or not?

gentleone
10-11-2011, 05:55 AM
thanks, guys! The pages are indexed and if I test with a sentence and put also the name of the company in the search query then it's there on no. 1.

I think I just go for two directories with this new project.

domedia
10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
The pages are indexed and if I test with a sentence and put also the name of the company in the search query then it's there on no. 1.
So that answers the question if search engines can crawl the page and index it or not :)

The same content in two languages is not duplicate content.

gentleone
10-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks, dom! :)

movielocker
11-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Great Mr Dom...Thanks for the idea..

mattmactavish
04-21-2012, 04:52 PM
I have a guy working for me for Dutch SEO Projects and other Non English Websites I have. For each Website there are different methods he used. But here there are different languages so its never been seen as duplicate content by Google. If you do not have visible rankings you may go for some local directories. Even Dmoz listing is very beneficial in terms of SEO if your website have good information/content. And Every one can search you with your Company name but you must target the right keyword to get the right traffic. If you're popular then you don't need to that because people will anyway find you.

edbr
04-22-2012, 01:35 AM
welcome to the forum mattmactavish

mattmactavish
04-23-2012, 05:57 PM
welcome to the forum mattmactavish

Thanks for your Warm Welcome. I tried to find the introduction area but couldn't find it :(

gentleone
04-23-2012, 06:12 PM
I have a guy working for me for Dutch SEO Projects and other Non English Websites I have. For each Website there are different methods he used. But here there are different languages so its never been seen as duplicate content by Google. If you do not have visible rankings you may go for some local directories. Even Dmoz listing is very beneficial in terms of SEO if your website have good information/content. And Every one can search you with your Company name but you must target the right keyword to get the right traffic. If you're popular then you don't need to that because people will anyway find you.

Thanks for your input, mattmactavish.

I found out indeed that search engines don't see 2 different languages as duplicate content which is actually quite logical, but I've read an article that made me doubt about it. Bad article! :)

I've used the company name together with that full sentence in that search, because I wanted to check if it like that would come up in the SERP, so that I knew for sure that the pages were indexed by Google.

They didn't do anything about SEO after I delivered the website to them, so they had some work to do.

petersmith5544
08-03-2013, 12:57 PM
search engine optimization is non of the marketing level of production. It is very beneficial for marketing strategies. search engine optimization is getting long time increase to website ranking.

krzy
10-25-2013, 05:14 AM
search engine optimization is getting long time increase to website ranking.
good answer
only long term results should be considered in SEO work

suha52
06-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Websites that provide content for different regions and in different languages sometimes create content that is the same or similar but available on different URLs. This is generally not a problem as long as the content is for different users in different countries.