PDA

View Full Version : My pages are collapsing! Please Help!

superdudemiles
10-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Hey I'm fairly new at Dreamweaver but I've managed to build a site and I'm almost ready to launch it!
But I'm having a problem, When I preview in dreamweaver all the pages are fine, however when i upload to my host the stuff at the top of the page like the logo ect. are all in the wrong place!

In the photo you can see a Logo is behind the Nav bar on the left
There is writing across the page
And the music player in front of the "News Box"

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/superdudemiles/Screenshot2011-10-08at063729.png

Any ideas on whats up?

Corrosive
10-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the forum mate. A link would be more useful than an image. It's like showing us a picture of a broken down car and asking us to tell you why it has broken down ;)

superdudemiles
10-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Kool Thing.
I will reupload the site then post the link!

superdudemiles
10-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Ok I have put it up. http://www.lmog.co.uk

I have also noticed the music player on the home page has random songs from random people I've never heard of, even though I've made the swf file and put the mp3's in the right folder.

Also all the pages are not centred correctly they all go to the right leaving a massive gap on the left!!!

Argh!

Corrosive
10-08-2011, 12:05 PM
LMOG! Where to start...?

I can see your development process from your code. Download free template >> Use Dreamweaver WYSIWYG editor to drag and drop or draw some extra elements onto the page >> publish & get nasty shock.

The first issue is the apdivs or div tags with absolute positioning. This kind of positioning takes a co-ordinate on the page from the top left hand corner by pixels. But, you can imagine that on different screen resolutions, different screen sizes etc that point away from the top left hand corner changes. That's why everything is in line on the Dreamweaver viewing area but out of line when viewed on a browser where the viewing area is bigger.

The right alignment I'd image in created by a missing closing div tag somewhere but I can't tell where because your code at the foot of the page is a mess with all those empty tags. Perhaps tidy it up and it will become more obvious. Firefox is the best debug browser in my opinion.

You've also got some inline styles which should really be handled through the stylesheet.

Hopefully that gives you some guidance on what you need to look at.

DWcourse
10-08-2011, 03:55 PM
If you actually plan on building web pages with Dreamweaver, you're going to have to start by learning a bit about HTML and CSS. Otherwise you'll never understand what went wrong on that page.

superdudemiles
10-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Yeh I'm pretty much starting from scratch now, found a great tutorial which will help me.
I have a different design I want to try anyway