PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Site Directories in "Files" Window Dropdown

rcortay
10-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Greetings all.

My dropdown menu listing all of the sites created has got to be going on 2+ pages or more long now. :lol:

Is anyone aware of a tip to organize them into subfolders, if only for display in this dropdown? Or perhaps there's an extension available that does the same.

Hypothetically, with the following (in italics) for illustrating fictional site setup site names, and with the items in bold being the "organizing" provision:

Clients-
-ABC
-xyz
ProBono-
-dogs
-cats
-bananas
Personal
-food
-photo

Thanks in advance for any help/insight/links/suggestions/condolences

-Rick

WotNow
10-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Can you post a link to your site so that we can see exactly what you mean?

domedia
10-20-2011, 01:42 AM
hmm sounds a little weird. A normal setup is to have a page called 'portfolio' maybe, and then have a few subpages for types of portfolio items. If a dropdown is not appropriate to navigate, then don't use it.

edbr
10-20-2011, 01:47 AM
just looks like you want a fly out type menu. why not look as cssplay.co.uk to identify the menu type you want , there are bucket loads of examples

rcortay
10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks to all the responses, and my apologies for not making my inquiry a bit more on target.

I'm not looking to organize a website menu.

As I mentioned in the Subject of the post "Organizing Site Directories in "Files" Window Dropdown", what I meant by this is within the Dreamweaver "working environment"

http://f.cl.ly/items/2a082a3X2w3w0b2k2d1W/Drop-down-in-Files-Window.jpg

That dropdown generates a two-page deep drop for me. Following image illustrates my dropdown only to the "P's" :)

http://f.cl.ly/items/161d1k2o001j3T1l0H1G/just-to-the-peees.jpg

I know there must be folk out there with even LONGER dropdowns. This makes me think that if that data is available, one might be able to create an extension that helps to organize clients, projects, etc.

Does this make a bit more sense in defining my initial inquiry?

Thanks, again, in advance for your continued reading.

edbr
10-21-2011, 02:02 AM
so you have all your sites in one folder. is that what you are saying?

rcortay
10-21-2011, 04:22 AM
so you have all your sites in one folder. is that what you are saying?

No. Actually, depending on the project, they're on any one of three hard drives.

Is there something I'm missing here?

edbr
10-21-2011, 05:05 AM
its probable me , each site is set up in its own folder and each site is defined individually?

rcortay
11-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Hello again to all. Happy thanksgiving belatedly to all that finds that relevant. ;)

So, I'm guessing there is no solution to shortening/organizing the list of current projects shown in the applications menu?

gentleone
11-30-2011, 08:01 PM
If your sites dropdown gets too long and you want to organize it, then you'll have to organzize it in sub folders on your hard disk first and I asume you will have to define your sites all over again in DW. I don't think DW gives an alert that the defined site structure has been change outside DW... it does that only with pages IF the page is already opened in DW.

But do you really need them all in your DW sites?... are you working on all of them frequently?