PDA

View Full Version : Search Query

DPP30
09-15-2011, 09:25 AM
I am setting up a website that will search several counties within the UK, by selecting the county from the drop down menu it will only list the services that you require from the sub menu that you can select a specific trade (ie. plumbers, builders etc). It not just a list of services, each business has a advert.

Would it be just a case of creating the site several times for each county and placing the ad in the correct site for that region?

Link to site:

www.myessential.co.uk

I hope it makes sense the way I have written this.

edbr
09-15-2011, 09:35 AM
this needs to be a dynamic site fed from databases using php asp or the like. without that it will become a nightmare very quickly

edbr
09-15-2011, 09:38 AM
thinking about it , you maybe abl to use a directory script for this . phplink directory for instance (theres a free version so you could try it out

DPP30
09-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Thank you for the advice. I have never used PHP, am I in way over my head with this project? With this process would this filter all my content to just show the items the user requires?

edbr
09-16-2011, 12:53 AM
with the directory? yes i thinkit would be fairly easy. you can use categories to be counties and then within each county list services . the advantage would be that you have a sign up for visitors to place an add free or otherwise , a way to process any payment (if applicable).
cons would be you should download a local server to your computer for testing ( yahoogle wamp xxamp ) and possibly modifying the design. but it does not need a knowledge of php , all is done from an admin panel.

there are other directories most have a free version

DPP30
09-23-2011, 01:07 PM
I have found a few sites that offer directories, but there are so many and I am not sure as most of them only show the results as text list, I am looking for a script that will show my adverts link like I have them set up on my site but filtered to show only the ads within the county the user has selected. If they don't select a county they will just display all the ads.

edbr
09-24-2011, 01:45 AM
then you may be faced with writing your own script if you cant adapt one, results froma database can include links to images that can displat , it also provides pagination to limit items shown per page . to build and maintain this manually page by page will be a mammoth task IMO

DPP30
09-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Thank you for all your advice and help.