PDA

View Full Version : Pages displayed differently in different Browsers...conversion help needed

mark4man
09-14-2011, 10:54 PM
hello...

working in macromedia dreamweaver 2004, in basic html.

had an issue recently whereby certain pages on my studio's website displayed differently in different browsers.

in asking for help...the general consensus was that I should learn xhtml & css2.

well, brothers & sisters...that ain't gonna happen (for several, legitimate reasons). [one of which is, my websites are related to recording & mastering & music...& I originally learned as a WYSIWYG kind of guy (not being a codemeister)]

so...my question is:

I'm pretty sure that dw 2004 converts html to xhtml...but I don’t think it does css1 to css2.

so...

..does anyone know of a good app that does...???...where I could then begin to use that app to write web pages (& thereby *eventually* learn xhtml & css2)

doesn’t matter by whom...I wouldn’t even mind going over to adobe or whomever. but I would need an app that could do css 2 creation in wyswyg...& have the ability to convert as well.

thanx very much,

mark4man

edbr
09-15-2011, 02:44 AM
http://kompozer.net/ is a nice free wysiwyg (and more) editor but i doubt you will get a tool for conversion

Corrosive
09-15-2011, 07:13 AM
..does anyone know of a good app that does...???...where I could then begin to use that app to write web pages (& thereby *eventually* learn xhtml & css2)

To my knowledge such a thing doesn't exist. Even if it did it would have the same issues as other WYSIWYG or conversion tools in that, if you remove the human touch and let a machine do it, you'll end up with a right old mess.

People build websites :wink:

d a v e
09-15-2011, 10:54 AM
learn or hire a designer

domedia
09-15-2011, 02:11 PM
had an issue recently whereby certain pages on my studio's website displayed differently in different browsers.

in asking for help...the general consensus was that I should learn xhtml & css2.

So a web site is always going to look a little different in different browsers. Why? Because they're different browsers.

Using XHTML as opposed to HTML, and CSS2 as opposed to CSS1 is not going to fix this. The only thing that will fix it is the knowledge of the different browsers and how you need to write code for consistency. You can do this in any of the HTML and CSS versions.

The standard now is now write HTML with CSS (notice the lack of version number). If anyone told you to use specific version of the languages for browser rendering consistency, you need to fire them right away. They just made it up.

Have you looked into squarespace.com? They offer a one week free trial.