PDA

View Full Version : Site upload - internal server error (HTTP 500) !!

songboy
09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I've uploaded my site via Dreamweaver 8, got a connection etc etc. When I try to view my site in IE (and the others) I get the internal server error window. You may not believe this but I've just been on to my hosting company and was told to 'turn off the computer and turn it on again - then it should work' ! Am I in some sort of a nightmare ? Have you ever had this message ? What did it turn out to be ? I've found many pages on the internet saying it's not 'your' (my) fault; it's a problem down to the server (or hosting company). Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Very worried Songboy

domedia
09-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah, give us the URL. :-D

dbepp
09-12-2011, 07:53 PM
And who is your hosting company?

songboy
09-12-2011, 08:08 PM
The site is: www.innersongs.co.uk (http://www.innersongs.co.uk)
The host company is called 'Eclipse'.

dbepp
09-12-2011, 08:18 PM
The site is: www.innersongs.co.uk (http://www.innersongs.co.uk)
The host company is called 'Eclipse'.

I see absolutely no code whatsoever on the site... have you tried a third party FTP?

EDBR recommended "download filezilla and try with that using the settings your hostar gave you, that will be a check and a good way to upload (its free)"

edbr
09-13-2011, 12:57 AM
the server is a Zeus/4.3 and im afraid i dont have any experience with this type of server but 'might be the problem i suppose

edbr
09-13-2011, 01:08 AM
from wiki
no mention of php support
In addition to static content serving, Zeus supports dynamic content via CGI, FastCGI, Apache JServ, ISAPI, NSAPI, mod_perl, SSI and Zeus Distributed Authentication and Content (ZDAC), a proprietary FastCGI-like protocol. While Zeus mainly competes with other commercial web servers such as Sun Java System Web Server, it also claims a high degree of compatibility with Apache HTTP Server (e.g. .htaccess and mod_rewrite), with the expectation that Apache users will migrate to Zeus as their server load increases.[6] NSAPI and ISAPI are supported to ease migrations from Microsoft IIS and Sun Java System Web Server.

or in web info
http://www.wmtips.com/tools/info/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.innersongs.co.uk%2F&src=ff&v=1.2

better check it supports php i have no idea if it does it doesnt mention it on their website either that i can see

songboy
09-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi Edbr and all -
I've just been on to Eclipse and a technician has told me that the only two html page files (which are not used within the actual site) show up fine - and they do. He says there is something within the php script on the index page that breaks the whole thing, hence it won't parse. Now, it all works fine within WAMP (Apache) on my localhost so are you saying that the Eclipse server is not up to the job. I'm now stumped as Eclipse says the server is configured for php. If there's an uncertainty about this, could someone suggest a hosting company that definitely will support my scripts ? In the meantime I've got this idea. Say I strip back the index page to the presentation and then bit by bit add the php and see if it works, or would this possibly be a waste of effort if there is a question mark about the server system ?
Totally deflated Songboy !

DWcourse
09-13-2011, 11:43 PM
References to other files could be working on your local machine but broke on the server if they are set up incorrectly. And are you sure you script is compatible with the version of php on their server?

edbr
09-14-2011, 01:30 AM
i cant give an opinion on the eclipse (zeus) server and there isnt a lot of info on their site.
i would always try to use the same envoiroment as i tested on , ie apache in this case. It may not be a problem but try running

phpinfo()and see what extensions are running . anothe question might be does it support .htaccess (if you are using it)

i have run across a few problems where posters are using a windows server with php enabled (using whichcraft i guess :) ) but there are problems with the set up. so im only offering guesses here. why not try a free hosting and test your site?

songboy
09-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Hi all -
The good news is that having commented out every piece of php (we're talking about a 1000 line script here !!), the page showed up. Unfortunately, the bad news is there seems to be a difference to the way the php is being parsed via Apache in localhost and the website server - well some of the time (parts of the php sections parse correctly). Jumping straight to the first php section, I've got this:
session_start();

include("connection.php");
//include("topbanners.php");//

@$sess_id_vis_logged = $_SESSION['sess_id_vis_logged'];

@$sess_id_vis = session_id();
@$sess_id_wri = session_id();

@$logref = $_SESSION['logref'];
@$logname= $_SESSION['logname'];
$query = ("SELECT user_name FROM writer_registration_details WHERE email_address = '$logref'");
$result = mysqli_query($cxn, $query);
$names = mysqli_fetch_array($result);
$user_name = $names['user_name'];
$_SESSION['user_name'] = $user_name;
$user_name = $_SESSION['user_name'];
$query1 = ("SELECT writer_id FROM writer_page_details WHERE user_name = '$user_name'");
$result1 = mysqli_query($cxn, $query1)or die("wrong");
$know_id = mysqli_fetch_array($result1);
$writer_id = $know_id['writer_id'];
$_SESSION['writer_id'] = $writer_id;
$writer_id = $_SESSION['writer_id'];

@$passkey = $_SESSION['passkey'];
@$writer_passkey = $_SESSION['writer_passkey'];
//@$writer_id = $_SESSION['writer_id'];//
@$writer_id_song_folder = @$writer_id;
@$writer_id_song_folder= $_SESSION["writer_id_song_folder"];

@$writing_first_name=$_SESSION['writing_first_name'];
@$writing_second_name=$_SESSION['writing_second_name'];
@$main_genre=$_SESSION['main_genre'];
@$contact_email=$_SESSION['contact_email'];
@$country_of_residence=$_SESSION['country_of_residence'];
@$blog_text=$_SESSION['blog_text'];
@$row=$_SESSION['songs'];
//@$picture_look = @$writer_photo_file;//
//@$picture_look = $_SESSION['picture_look'];//

@$theme_word = $_POST["theme_word"];
@$experience_phrase = $_POST["experience_phrase"];
@$song_title = $_POST["song_title"];

if($theme_word || $experience_phrase || $song_title)
{
if($_SESSION['auth'] != "yes")
{
header("Location: a_login_prompt.php");
}
}
If I uncomment this section, the web browser shows a blank page with the DONE word at the bottom. Now, none of the html shows up. Basically, it's stopping isn't it ? Yet, if I look at exactly the some code on localhost it parses the php and shows the presentation. Looking at the code above, is there something outdated about it or is there an error ? If there is something fundamentally stupid about it, please give me the benefit as it works on my machine.
Thanks to everyone -
Songboy

edbr
09-15-2011, 01:31 AM
no dont get it, i am feeling pretty sure its a problem with the zeus server although without any knowledge of it. i just yahoogled and the main repeated issue is that zeus does not handle .htaccess redirects or mod_rewrite.
if you remove the @ supressor in wamp do you get warnings? i would remove them and check

songboy
09-18-2011, 09:51 PM
OK -
I've been reading this and trying that and trying again..and again and at last I realised something ! Nothing was working and then I got bits working eg I got the index page to show. Then I realised I couldn't connect to the database. I have just realised that the whole problem is down to mysqli versus mysql. I have been using mysqli as a function prefix. This does not work on the server...the minute it sees mysqli the page dies. If I change the mysqli to mysql eg to connect to the database, then things work. I have emailed a support ticket to my host company asking why this is happening and what can be done about it. Should I have expected this ? Does it seem sensible ? I know that when I was creating my site, if I accidentally left the i out of mysqli, things went wrong. This sounds like the reverse. Surely, the server should parse both prefixes. Any advice on this would be helpful.
All the best -
Songboy (PS I'll report back on what the host company says.)

edbr
09-19-2011, 01:00 AM
do they say they support mysqli?

songboy
09-19-2011, 06:48 PM
The host people have just replied and it seems they do not support mysqli ! Now I need some advice.
1. I could change the whole thing to mysql - can you just change mysqli to mysql wherever it occurs and get the same results ?
2. If it's plausible to make the change, is there a quick way to do it in Dreamweaver ?
3. I could go for a new host - how would I know if it's effective ?
Songboy (quite annoyed !!)
PS Thanks to edbr et al - sorry but I'm going through another sort of learning curve now.

edbr
09-20-2011, 01:09 AM
no its ot that simple some functions are different in the 2, and frankly i assume you went the mysqli route for security which it supplies with prepared statements.
i would move to an apache server with the same environment as you have on your testing server, think of future changes ( im sure there will be some)
from what ive seen zeus is a fast responsive server but not a lot of info being supplied from your hoster's web site and clearly some difrences form what you can reasonably expect from an apache set up. mysqli is common ( but check first)
if the host server is as your local set up then it will work as you have it

I would move personally

songboy
09-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi edbr -

My gut feeling is that you are right about moving. I actually used the mysqli approach because Janet Valade said it was the way to go. I have to admit the 'i' for 'improved' did not register with me at the time - she used it so I used it ! Anyway, I've now got to do some hosting research.
Thanks again -
Songboy (recovering)

edbr
09-21-2011, 12:54 AM
many prefer it. I by nature reject anything called lite , especially alcohol related.but it is a more secure system and much debated pro and con. i personally have become converted to PDO for the same reasonm of prepered statements and anti sql injection.