PDA

View Full Version : My First Website

dsaull9
09-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi...I'm building a tennis website for my home town and it will have a members database...I'm using CS5 in design view and am using The Missing Manual for my resource...the fog has lifted a little bit but it's quite a challenge...does anyone know if I have control over the format of the database that gets created by the hosting company (using PHP) or is that their domain? I'd like to design it myself but the book doesn't seem to cover this issue.

edbr
09-09-2011, 09:45 AM
you will have to create the database yourself

Corrosive
09-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Yes, you should be able to set up a database (probably MySQL) through your hosting control panel. You may need to review their tutorials for full instructions.

Welcome to the forum and web design by the way... And beware design view... It sucks a bit :)

dsaull9
09-09-2011, 08:38 PM
What should I be aware of?

DWcourse
09-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Design View is meant to make it easy for you to select and edit object and text on your pages but it can no longer be considered WYSIWYG (if it ever could). Newer versions of DW have a Live View option which is generally very good (based upon the same rendering engine as Safari and Chrome but not 100% accurate). Just be aware that Design View is not an accurate representation of what you will see in a browser. Also be aware that all browsers are different and you should test your site with as many browsers as possible or use a service like Adobe Browserlab.