PDA

View Full Version : Problem with two word option value in dropdown.

songboy
09-03-2011, 06:19 PM
This is really odd. I have a form for users to add info. I have another form to allow the info to be changed. One of the fields in the change info form is 'country of residence'. If you originally put in, say, Albania and you update your info but you don't change the country of residence, all is fine.
However, if you originally put in 'United Kingdom' and you then submit the form (and you haven't changed United Kingdom) when you go to the writers own page (where the data is displayed) the country of residence box shows 'United'....the 'Kingdom' part is missing. The same thing happens for any place name with more than one word eg 'The Peoples Republic Of China'....having submited this, the display page shows 'The'.. the rest is missing. I must emphasise that this only happens with option values comprising of more than one word.
I must add that, normally, if you get the update page but don't update any of the fields, you go straight back to the index. If you do update,the DB updates and you go to an 'Information Updated' page before you transfer to your display page. But, if you go to the update page (where country of res is a multi word name) and you don't change anything, you don't go back to index, you go to 'info updated' page (and you shouldn't). When you look at the display page, the two word place name has been updated and displays only the first word !! If you have an idea what is happening here, please let me know as it is the last thing preventing me from uploading my site.
Thanks -
Songboy

edbr
09-05-2011, 04:53 AM
and you then submit the form (and you haven't changed United Kingdom) when you go to the writers own page (where the data is displayed) the country of residence box shows 'United'....the 'Kingdom' part is missing.
it sounds like it is updating anyway, check record field size or form field character length in the update form.
Im really stbbing in the dark here though