PDA

View Full Version : STILL NEED HELP, PLEASE with the Footer creeping up problem

BizzyWizz
08-31-2011, 04:11 PM
My original thread is below for the DIV problem and the Footer creeping up. I've tried everything and originally started with the positioning of the #mainContent as relative and just went back and switched it again -- won't solve my very frustrating and confusing problem.

And, now, the Design View just switched itself from being an actual to view to block design with dashed lines around the div areas? How did that happen? How can I switch it back?

I'm sure DWCS5.5 is great once I actually figure it out, but the learning curve is steep right now. I was used to the old DW MX.

Any help would be much appreciated. Also, in the last reply I was asked for the links to the html and css pages; but I don't know how to do that. I did put a link to the actual "broken" page at the website. I uploaded that single page to the site so my problem could be viewed. If anyone can help me, I'd REALLY, REALLY appreciate it! Thank you.

DWcourse
08-31-2011, 07:30 PM
The View can show either "Live View" or edit mode. Sound like you clicked the Live View button. Try clicking it again. BTW, your ability to edit when Live View is active is limited.

BizzyWizz
08-31-2011, 10:04 PM
The Design View not showing ended up being some sort of glitch. Closed DW and reopened it and the problem went away (go figure).

My other problem ended up being a &nbsp within a paragraph tag that I somehow managed to get in the header which was throwing the entire page off.

I also got rid of the container I was trying to use to surround my middle section -- didn't need it as it turned out anyway -- I was only using it for a white background and was able to get that with my regular div's floated next to each other. Now I have the site working fine.

Tried Adobe's forum -- there I was told to never "position" anything and that I was basically a moron for even thinking about positioning -- relative or otherwise (real nice attitude!). But, I tried his advice and took out my relative positions and completely broke the entire page even though the recommended floats were still there. I don't know how that guy makes it work, but it didn't for me. I'm also completely positioned relative now except for a couple of areas I need absolutes within a containing block. Previewed it in all the browsers on BrowserLab and it works at all the zooms. With, of course, the exception of iE6 -- doesn't work at all.

And, to the person who told me to just use a premade template -- thanks for the advice, but I want to learn the in's and out's of DW and I know a lot more today at 6pm than I did this morning at 6am. Of course, I also have a lot more gray hairs!

DWcourse
08-31-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm all for learning from your own mistakes but I also believe in learning from the experience of others. That's why I recommended you start with one of DW's built-in layouts (not a pre-made template). They are well constructed and they include lots of notes in the html and css about how they were constructed and why. I'd still recommend you take a look at one or more of them.

That said positioning is useful in limited circumstances.

Relative positioning is the default and you normally don't need to worry about it UNLESS you have an Absolutely Positioned object. In that case the AP object aligns to the closest parent element that has the position property explicitly defined. In that case setting the parent div to position:relative insures that the child object aligns properly within it.

Generally, you want to avoid absolute positioning but without seeing your page I can't say if it was necessary.