PDA

View Full Version : What's the flash alternative?

djbutter22
08-31-2011, 04:31 PM
I love Flash web sites when done properly. However, I hate that they can't be seen by Ipads and all things Mac. Is there an alternative Flash style?

WebGirly3
08-31-2011, 04:59 PM
What are you looking to do? For a flash photo gallery or slideshow, you can go with a JQuery/CSS-based gallery that works on the iPad & even on mobile devices. It really just depends on what you are looking to do so be more specific and I'm sure someone can help.

djbutter22
08-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks Girly! Someone asked me to build their site using a template from http://www.templatemonster.com/flash-templates.php They liked the fully animated approach.

DWcourse
08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
You should tell them that Flash-based site are a poor solution for reasons other than the iPhone including SEO and the difficulty of updating and adding to a flash-based site.

djbutter22
08-31-2011, 09:18 PM
good call. I was just wondering what the Mac die-hards were doing with the situation. How can they never enjoy a flash site? I'm a noob so I don't know too much, but I thought someone told me HTML5 was created so you didn't have to use FLASH. Anyone see Mac's being able to see flash in the future?

DWcourse
08-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Mac can and do use Flash. It's iOS (iPhones, iPods and iPads) that don't support Flash (although there are ways to use Flash content on those devices). I don't see that changing anytime soon. Frankly for the vast majority (but certainly not all) of things Flash has traditionally been used for there are now better solutions.

I see Flash becoming a niche product probably focusing on building apps (not .swf files) which will work across all platforms. HTML5 is still behind Flash in a number of areas but I'd say it's where things are headed.

djbutter22
08-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Mac can and do use Flash. It's iOS (iPhones, iPods and iPads) that don't support Flash (although there are ways to use Flash content on those devices). I don't see that changing anytime soon. Frankly for the vast majority (but certainly not all) of things Flash has traditionally been used for there are now better solutions.

I see Flash becoming a niche product probably focusing on building apps (not .swf files) which will work across all platforms. HTML5 is still behind Flash in a number of areas but I'd say it's where things are headed.

Thanks DW, my client is going to have to go another route for now. He wants to be able to see the site on an ipod as well as his PC

gentleone
08-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Anyone see Mac's being able to see flash in the future?
I have a MacBook which sees perfectly Flash :) The problem was that iOS (iPhone & iPad) were crashing constantly when there had to be loaded some kind of Flash movie... meetings about the subject between Adobe and Apple didn't solved anything so in the end Flash is blocked on these devices.

Future rich animations will be eventually based on open standards which is HTML5, CSS3 animations and JavaScript (so no need for vendor plugins anymore such as the Flash plugin).... just native in the browser.

Even Adobe knows by now... hence there new project; Adobe Edge.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/edge/resources/

djbutter22
08-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks Gentle! I can't keep up with all of the new web-tech that's out there! As soon as you learn one, here come 2 new ones

designer_282
09-05-2011, 11:12 PM
HTML5 is your solution most likely.