PDA

View Full Version : Image Security: preventing right-click or image save

brianswebdesign
08-28-2011, 02:46 PM
I would like to prevent people from saving images off of sites I design. I found one method on another forum using javascript but it didn't seem to work when I tried it. I would save the proper code in the head and in the body but when I previewed the page in my browser I could still right-click to save image.

Any ideas?

d a v e
08-28-2011, 08:24 PM
1. anything you put on the web can be taken and the only knowledge you need is how to google ;)
2. using right click is sooo easy to get round if needed to and can be a pain for users that rely on it for legitimate purposes.
3. watermarking images is essentially the only way you can do anything worthwhile to protect them but these can often be easily removed using the clone brush in photoshop

so watermark your images and keep them small so they are useless to print or too small to be of much other use

domedia
08-28-2011, 08:40 PM
There's no way you can prevent people from downloading your images.

In order to see the images on your web page, they *have* to be downloaded ;-) They do not appear on the screen by magic

brianswebdesign
08-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes, I know that. But I know many sites disable right-click or at least disable the 'save image' option when right-clicked. I would like to discourage image theft as much as possible, and I know my clients will want me to be able to utilize this code. I don't think they will be happy with 'if someone wants to steal them they will, I don't do anything extra to discourage that'.

Does anyone know anything that can help me? Is it possible that the code I tried was working and for some reason didn't seem to be on my browser since the website is still on my computer and not on a server?

domedia
08-28-2011, 10:40 PM
A google search would provide you with the code I think. It might be browser specific.

File-> Save Page As.. can not be stopped. Or View Source and just click on the image link. I use the firebug plugin (web development tool) and it has a function to save images from the web page. There are literally almost an endless way to get access to images that are already on your computer.

I would also think it might be argued that many (most?) people don't get images from a web page by right clicking.

It could also be argued that disabling a right click, might reduce usability to the point where people might just leave the page in anger. This is the case for most 'power' browser users I would imagine.

This question have been argued many times over the last 15 years.

I would try to convince my client that this is a bad idea, and then if the client does not trust me, add the code and don't take credit for the site.

d a v e
08-29-2011, 04:35 PM
so to reiterate, seeing as you don't seem to have paid much attention to my post
"I don't think they will be happy with 'if someone wants to steal them they will, I don't do anything extra to discourage that'. "

1. watermark the images
2. make them large enough to see but small enough to be of much use

lots of sites use disabling of right-click purely because they're are
1. ignorant of how the net works
2. ignorant of users that need that for legitimate uses.

is it clear now?

brianswebdesign
08-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Thank you domedia.

domedia
08-30-2011, 02:34 AM
I've had clients ask the same thing, and it's one of those situations you'd rather not be in. :-/