PDA

View Full Version : Advice on SEO

WotNow
08-21-2011, 04:24 AM
Hi I have been reading tons of information regarding SEO, including the articles in this forum. I have tried to implement as many suggestions as I can. If you have a moment, would you mind looking at my site
http://www.kimberleywebdesign.com.au/index.html
and possibly suggest some areas for improvement. Thanks for your time and invaluable help.

DWcourse
08-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Fix this first:

Error occurred: 500 - internal server error

WotNow
08-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Sorry was adding some re-directs into my .htaccess and apparently it doesn't like redirects to swf files. Site all good now, thanks

DWcourse
08-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Not SEO-related but changing layout and navigation on every page of the site is a killer for me - confusing to the user.

domedia
08-22-2011, 03:50 PM
WotNow, research canonical domain. It's where only one version of your web site address is used.

WotNow
08-23-2011, 02:33 AM
I researched canonical domains, are you suggesting that I put
http://kimberleywebdesign.com.au/index.html
http://kimberleywebdesign.com.au/services/services.html

in all my navigation links?

I thought it was standard practice for businesses to purchase both the .com and the .com.au in Australias case and mirror them.

edbr
08-23-2011, 02:59 AM
no IMO redirect one of them is better, for one thing you can be splitting your benefits. if your market is local i would suggest .com.au and put a 301 redirect on the .com

WotNow
08-23-2011, 03:58 AM
Thanks! Have redirected .com to .com.au. Am trying to get a handle on google analytics .. is there a way to see whether traffic has been divided between these 2 domains?

kellexDC
09-04-2011, 10:15 AM
for on-page seo, i suggest you put some more related content on your site's homepage.

movielocker
11-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Yeah, Agree! more related content on your site's content!

johnMoss
11-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Click on my link below and go down to the bottom of the page. Check out the woorank and SEOMoFo links. Run your site's respective info and all will be self explanatory. Number one thing you can do immediately is with the SEOMoFo. Your title should be keyworded to your target market, i.e. what search phrase would you have for people looking for your services? Keep it to 72 characters or less, which you'll understand as as soon as you visit those sites. For example 'Broome web design' etc... You'll see...

Corrosive
11-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Check out the woorank

Great find John. Very useful :mrgreen:

johnMoss
11-05-2011, 03:30 PM
It is, thanks... But a couple notes; Not even Wikipedia can score a 100 on this thing, which I assume they've reserved for God, Jesus, & Muhammed...
If you run their url you'll get rick-rolled too, so amusing. I'm curious though as to their possible relationship with Yahoo. They ascribe a lot of value to their directory, which conveniently now costs 292.00 a year to list. The DMOZ open source is (to me) far more valuable and free. Yahoo now stands at what, 17% market share? I'll pass...

domedia
11-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Great stuff John. Do you know anything more about how WooRank works?
We got 66.1%. Not entirely sure what this means, but I didn't spend a lot of time there. It gave a nice list over things that might be missing in the report, which was very helpful.

johnMoss
11-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Post the url link on that 66 you got, I'd like to see that. 66 is darn good!
As far as how they work, it's really just intuitive off their category lists. What the scoring is relative to I think is the gist of your question, and for that I've no answer. I just use their free analysis. It's a killer sales tool; If that is your site that's getting a 66, you can walk a potential client through that right over the phone. I do that on every inquiry as I'm on the phone with them. Many sites from existing (non-customer) owners typically score in the high 20's to mid 30's. I'm still working mine, course it's a brand new site & all, but I'm up to 51.2 . A validation of your services et.al.
I'll tell ya though, what would be a REALLY good idea is to convert this DW club site to a .org that we could backlink with. Relative text to site design coming back at us from a .org and lightly keyworded into our respective site titles would be tremendously valuable SEO-wise to us all...

domedia
11-06-2011, 07:35 PM
It's this web site of course :)
http://www.woorank.com/en/www/dreamweaverclub.com

As far as I know, the TLD does not matter, as anyone can get a .org domain.
Can you back it up with a link? I'm pretty sure Matt Cutts said that TLD doesn't matter, but I'd have to look that up.

If it was .edu/gov it would make sense a little I guess..

johnMoss
11-06-2011, 10:19 PM
He did, but that reference was concerning the site in question, i.e. what you are creating.
http://www.seo.com/blog/conferences/matt-cutts-does-domain-roundtable/

By converting this site into a .org, you would be creating a very valuable backlink resource. The prima facia SEO consideration as I understand it is a site's relevancy to the search query, of course determined by the algorithms. And they are definitely looking for those quality backlinks. Wikipedia is case-in-point. For information search they practically always turn up first. Note all the articles are backlinked out the wazoo, especially to themselves. In excelsius we are in the web design industry, linking to this site is one thing, having this site link back is quite another. This site is pure information relative to what we sell, being backlinked from it says the linked site is of enhanced informational value to the consumer. Converting it to .org is simply a healthy one-up; it tells the algorithm it is a non-profit. I have to assume that also in place with the Google algorithms is some type of mechanism to distinguish the fact that this site is the genuine article, 30K pages+... pretty much says it's definitely informational.

domedia
11-06-2011, 11:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxTmZulcQZ0
This is just one of many(?) times he states that TLD does not matter.

.org is not for non-profits. It's open to anyone.

domedia
11-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Actually the link you posted, it clearly reports on him saying that TLD does not matter too.

johnMoss
11-06-2011, 11:54 PM
You win. I wonder now if they may be referring to other lesser engines at this point, and also why they (Woorank) haven't moved to put a disclaimer on that. I do believe it was more relevant as soon as last year, but if these guys are in the SEO business you'd think they'd adjust it's value...

johnMoss
11-06-2011, 11:56 PM
On the link I posted the conversation was ( as I read it) concerning the choice of TLD for one's own site, not backlinked sites. Bottom line though is the video you posted clearly supports your conclusions, and that from the HMFIC.

edbr
11-07-2011, 04:08 AM
im pretty sure the DMOZ listing and number of google index pages make a huge contribution to that impressive rating for the forum. nice tool to play with though, i found a few bad errors id missed on my villa site.

johnMoss
11-07-2011, 07:18 PM
We'll see how long it takes for DMOZ to get back. I submitted about 8 days ago & am expecting 3-4 weeks. If anyone else wants to give them a crack I recommend using the regional path. It seems to be the easiest to get into.

edbr
11-08-2011, 01:17 AM
good luck, let us know how you do please. Its a hard nut to crack that one

goutsolution
07-16-2012, 01:46 AM
i have domain and server put in Viet Nam now i want to seo in google.com in uk, not google.com.vn, anybody know ?

Erica
10-16-2012, 07:06 AM
SEO is very vast field. One has to keep important points in mind while using the SEO technique. Two main methods of SEO technique are off page method and on page method.

edbr
10-16-2012, 07:21 AM
wow does stating the obvious help?

WotNow
11-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Click on my link below and go down to the bottom of the page. Check out the woorank and SEOMoFo links. Run your site's respective info and all will be self explanatory. Number one thing you can do immediately is with the SEOMoFo. Your title should be keyworded to your target market, i.e. what search phrase would you have for people looking for your services? Keep it to 72 characters or less, which you'll understand as as soon as you visit those sites. For example 'Broome web design' etc... You'll see...

Hi John .. only link I saw below was your linked in link.

Darryl8100
05-22-2013, 06:27 PM
If you are spending all of this time and money on designing a good web style, it is important to make sure that the style will last as long as you need it to, and that means guaranteeing your site is ready for the long run of the Web.
I visited the site(shown into your post),contains great ideas. I am also working on designing my company web. I read out interesting ideas.This will be helpful for me. thanks everyone...

Darryl8100
05-28-2013, 02:31 PM
If you are spending all of this time and money on designing a good web style, it is important to make sure that the style will last as long as you need it to, and that means guaranteeing your site is ready for the long run of the Web.
I visited the site(shown into your post),contains great ideas. I am also working on designing my company web. I read out interesting ideas.This will be helpful for me. thanks everyone...
removed link

ionamartin123
06-14-2013, 02:40 PM
SEO is not just building links or making the site look good for Google & Bing. Your site layout is not really good, bring the content little higher or in top part of the page. This is also covered in google's seo factor now.

krzy
10-23-2013, 07:53 PM
simple design, but somehow very little relevant text on homepage

samuel044
07-03-2014, 06:11 AM
One of my advice is do not rush seo and be patient cause in due time you will get the backlinks that you are looking for without saying that you are an robot and spammer.