PDA

View Full Version : Macro DW 2004 or NEW???? :(

jbrobertson
08-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Hello everyone! :-D I'm obviously a newbie to website design. I purchased Macro STUDIOMX 2004, which includes DW, flash, fireworks and freehand, back when it first came out so a family member could build our companies website. Needless to say, it never happened. I have paid others over the years to build our site and rarely updated it due to the builder being unfamiliar with my industry, which is power tools and equipment. Long story short....I now have some time to build and maintain our site/s, but not sure where to begin :confused:

I plan to build 4-5 informative sites, nothing too fancy/flashy. There will be lots of pics and pdf's of the items we sell, rent and repair. I need to update pics, descriptions and prices frequently, but no immediate plans for shopping carts or purchasing direct from sites. I will be working from a laptop most of the time, if that's important in any way.

Should I use the 2004 version or upgrade? not looking forward to buying the new one since I never used the old, but I will if it's more user friendly. I spent a few hours playing with the old version many years ago and never made it through the first tutorial. Remember, I am a newbie that missed out on all the computer classes in grade school.

Any tips, tricks, tutorials and/or help from the forum are much appreciated. I don't want to get started then figure out I should have done.............

Thanks in advance

Corrosive
08-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Well, obviously you get a few more bells and whistles with the newer version but the main difference is that newer versions encourage you to build your website in a professional way and using webs standards and best-practice. Absolutely vital if you want to get your website seen by anyone!

That's not to say you can't build a perfectly compliant with 2004 if you start with the right tutorials and attitude. You MUST learn CSS and how to use semantic mark-up to create meaningful web pages. Start here with the basics; http://htmldog.com/ Please don not follow 'You Tube' tutorials or lay your pages out with tables :)

Corrosive
08-17-2011, 06:50 AM
...and welcome to the forum :)

jbrobertson
08-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks Corrosive. I will start at the link you provided to get a better idea of what i'm getting myself into before I start my project

DWcourse
08-18-2011, 12:08 AM
There's also the fact that Adobe doesn't offer support (what support they do offer) for a program that old and it's unlikely to work without problems on a newer version of your OS.

jbrobertson
08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks DWcourse!

Looks like it will be smarter to buy the newer version. I am looking at the Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 Web Premium. Very pricey, but I feel it's smarter to get the whole package rather than just dreamweaver.....right choice?

I'm aware this is a Dreamweaver forum, but I asked the Adobe chat guy if the suite included a product similar to Microsoft Publisher so I could build catalogs, brochures and/or flyers to publish on the web in pdf form or print....he said no and referred me to another suite which did not include Adobe Contribute or FlashBuilder.....Will I lose out on much by not having these programs?????? :/

DWcourse
08-19-2011, 01:18 AM
If you are mainly interested in creating a few websites and also need to do some print/pdf work, I'd recommend Design Premium (also pretty pricey). Take a look at the descriptions for Flash Builder and Contribute and I think you'll find you won't have much use for them.

You might also want to consider Adobe's new subscription model where you pay monthly rather than purchasing the full suite outright.