PDA

View Full Version : editing PHP based site

converted
08-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi, my fried has this site http://www.northern-underground.co.uk/

He has asked me if I can help edit a few bits and peices of the site.

Text on page where it say "Listen", text on the page at the side of the shout box.

Also update the links for the audio players / icons to point to a differn't server.

the site does have a content manager but none of these options are editable via the content manager.

I know a bit of HTML but not PHP and its a PHP site.

Do i just find a PHP editor and edit the pages that has the text / link info i want to edit , then re upload them or ????

Any help is appreciated

domedia
08-10-2011, 01:35 PM
PHP is code, so you can use the same editor you write HTML with. I doubt this is going to help you if you don't know a programming language.

converted
08-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the response

Is there not a php editor that will let me edit the small amout of text i would like to edit and the couple of links??

I know PHP is a server protocol but is there not an editor that will
show it in design mode??

domedia
08-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I know PHP is a server protocol but is there not an editor that will
show it in design mode??

I don't think that exists yet :)

How Dreamweaver treats some of the PHP is the closes thing you'll get afaik. But it will only work on PHP written by DW afaik.

edbr
08-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Text on page where it say "Listen", text on the page at the side of the shout box.

Also update the links for the audio players / icons to point to a differn't server.

how is this shown on the page? if the content manager cant edit it it sounds like its hard coded or is from an include maybe rather than from a database. if you post the actual code here we may be able to help you

DWcourse
08-11-2011, 03:24 AM
I don't mean to be an alarmist but, if you're messing around with PHP and don't know what you're doing, you can break the whole site with a typo (I know I've done it).

That said, if you can find where the text is in the code you should be able to edit it with any text editor.

Dreamweaver CS5+ has a php discover function that does some of what you want but you need to know what you'er you're doing to use it successfully.

edbr
08-11-2011, 03:48 AM
I don't mean to be an alarmist but, if you're messing around with PHP and don't know what you're doing, you can break the whole site with a typo (I know I've done it).
its a club with a large membership

Corrosive
08-11-2011, 07:12 AM
its a club with a large membership

Yep, fully paid up member :)