PDA

View Full Version : website width

JBD
08-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone had any statistics or experience with optimum website width. I know years ago 800px was the safe standard and then around 960px more recently. With larger screens becoming ever popular (obviously mobile devices excluded) would a website of 1020px in width be user friendly for the majority or is this still too wide?

edbr
08-06-2011, 01:53 AM
i still prefer a centred 960px width i dont think its time yet to make larger as a norm

DWcourse
08-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Going larger than about 960px also can make the text hard to read (there's a reason newspapers and magazine print their text in columns)

Corrosive
08-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Although some desktop and laptop screens are getting nice and big there is always smaller laptops, netbooks, tablets etc to consider as well. Although I've not ventured into it yet I've heard that this is very good; http://cssgrid.net/

JBD
08-06-2011, 10:03 AM
My grid is currently 1000px wide so time to reduce everything by 4%. I like the idea of the fluid 1140px but I think for this website I'l play it safe and stick with 960px.

One interesting stat I came across is that only 1% more people use Safari than IE6... I thought what with all macs, ipads and iphones being sold with Safari it would be much more widely used.

Corrosive
08-06-2011, 10:09 AM
One interesting stat I came across is that only 1% more people use Safari than IE6... I thought what with all macs, ipads and iphones being sold with Safari it would be much more widely used.

Safari is much more widely used than IE6 by visitors to our sites. Where did you get that stat?

JBD
08-06-2011, 10:50 AM
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

That's what I would have thought -perhaps I'm misunderstanding their stats?

Corrosive
08-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Ah right, that shows IE as a whole. So 6, 7, 8 & 9 would go in to make up that stat. Never sure what to believe with browser stats anyway. This shows a different picture again; http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

JBD
08-06-2011, 11:16 AM
If you click on the header it shows a break down of each version. IE6 has 2.3% and Safari5 3.5% What I find surprising is the difference in % of the top 3 browsers between the two reports with one saying Firefox is 42.2% and another saying 26%... I guess the important thing is to look at your own website stats and mine are always pretty evenly divided between Firefox, IE and safari with Chrome, Opera etc... being relatively insignificant. I've never even used Chrome as still using OS10.4 though imagine it renders pretty well unlike IE6 & 7 which I'm hoping will disappear very soon!

Corrosive
08-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I guess the important thing is to look at your own website stats

Yep, got it in one :)

I've never even used Chrome as still using OS10.4 though imagine it renders pretty well

It uses the same rendering engine (webkit) as Safari so there shouldn't be much difference other than the specifically Mac stuff like the appearance of form buttons.

HostingBee
08-06-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone had any statistics or experience with optimum website width. I know years ago 800px was the safe standard and then around 960px more recently. With larger screens becoming ever popular (obviously mobile devices excluded) would a website of 1020px in width be user friendly for the majority or is this still too wide?
the standard width for a website

Because of improvements in technology and human behaviors web standards change. While, even few years ago the standard width of a website was 800px, nowadays it seems to be not enough pixels in a horizontal direction to show nicely content on the web.

The standard width is driven by a size of screens used by Internet users, and a resolution of those screens.

Let's see data about some popular websites, and a width of the biggest wrapper of the page:

NYT.com - 972px
Cnn.com - 1002px
Facebook - 980px Another source of the decision about a width of your website should be data collected by Google Analytics which you have probably connected to your site. It shows statistic about a resolution among your users.

According to data from W3School Display Statistics (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp), if you use resolution around 1000px, you will cover more than 96% of Internet users.

JBD
08-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I still imagine it's a better idea to choose 960px as this will ensure that the 14% of users who still have a 1024px wide screen also see a well displayed website rather than the design either right to the edge of the screen or worse a horizontal scroll bar.

domedia
08-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Remember that w3school (which is not very popular in the web dev community due to the quality of their articles and their non-friendly relations to W3C) only list the stats for their own site.

Look at your own server logs. There's no point in designing a site for another sites users.

Hostingbee, what is the point of just copying this page:
http://www.royaldeerdesign.com/blog,what_is_the_standard_width_for_a_website_now, 312.html ?