PDA

View Full Version : Search Engine for DW Site

BizzyWizz
08-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Don't know if this is the best place -- ie.g., forum -- to ask this question. But, with that said, there seem to be some very experienced people on this site; therefore, here's my question.

I want to put a search engine on my new site that's site specific. There seems to be a lot of choices out there. Are there any that people in this forum have used and would recommend?

I actually would like to build it (or, better -- buy it already designed) a search capability that I can input into the data base what I want it to find versus having it automatically categorize. I'd like it to be able to jump to a certain page when info is entered versus having it load up a page with numerous options like you get when you search Google for something (helpful for a Google search, not so much for what I'm doing). Obviously, this is the first time I'm trying to put in a search engine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

domedia
08-06-2011, 05:00 PM
A local search engine requires you to already have a database with your content. If not you can use the Google search API.

BizzyWizz
08-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks for replying. I don't think I asked my question very succinctly as to what I'd like to do. My business is an employee benefit perks program. When people go to the site and they're looking for a local business that does, for example, air conditioning repair, I'd like the search engine function to take them directly to the page with the site that I've named AC.html and that page will have the list of a/c companies available to them.

If I use a standard site search engine, it'll load into a separate page and then list all the ads that have the words a/c or air conditioning, etc.

I'd also like to have a search engine where the user can type in what they're looking for along with the zip code they live in and it would bring them to that page. In the example above, my pages will probably have to be duplicated with an ac.html and an ac32771.html (I'm using CSS so should be too difficult to update info as needed).

My site is under development and I may not be able to do what I want with the search engine, but I would think I should be able to as it should just run a query from the mySQL database.

Does this sound doable? I'm just getting back into all of this after being out of it for the last 10 years. Back then I was using Access and, if I remember correctly, javascript to call it up. Websites weren't very dynamic.

Again, thanks for your reply and any suggestions.

websleeper
08-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I think you need 'biuld in' search API onto your website. If you use some CMS you can include build in search. I don't think DW can help you here :)

domedia
08-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Yes, it sounds doable. All the business info in a db table. Search it, and go to the page which is the best match.

BizzyWizz
08-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Thank you for your help. I'll try the db build. -DF