PDA

View Full Version : Using photoshop slices in dreamweaver

kalvinp
07-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been having some difficulty with a website that im trying to build. I have created the layout on photoshop and sliced the image. With that done i imported it into dreamweaver and started adding all my text. When viewing the web page on my screen it seemed fine as i had set the width and height to my screens' resolution. However, when i looked at the site on a screen with a higher resolution, the web page was tiny and butted up to the corner.

The pictures for the layout are being imported into dreamweaver with their widths and heights in pixels... Obviously if i want the web page to be displayed correctly on any web browser i'll need to define the dimensions using percentages... My question is how would i go about doing that?... I just need to get over this hurdle...

Thanks in advance...
KP

domedia
07-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Obviously if i want the web page to be displayed correctly on any web browser i'll need to define the dimensions using percentages...
No, all images are usually set with a number in pixels for width and height, so you're good.

kalvinp
07-25-2011, 09:13 PM
ok.... thats all good then, but how would i get everything to resize proportionately according to the size of the web browser?...

gentleone
07-25-2011, 09:51 PM
ok.... thats all good then, but how would i get everything to resize proportionately according to the size of the web browser?...
It's possible to achieve that, but this requires some decent HTML & CSS skills and a lot of hand-coding, but if you're in that phase of exporting from Photoshop to HTML then there is a big learning curve ahead of you.

You we're right about that the layout needs to be percentage based, but also your images need to be fluid.

domedia
07-26-2011, 01:52 PM
As long as you know that all other web sites do not work like this.

gentleone
07-26-2011, 03:59 PM
As long as you know that all other web sites do not work like this.
Well... not all of them anymore, Ove ;)
http://mediaqueri.es/

domedia
07-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Responsive Design is great, but I'm not sure this is what the OP is referring to (?) I doubt a user with an iMac 2560 1440 screen resolution is going to like that he site by default expects him to maximize the browser window.. :confused:

When viewing the web page on my screen it seemed fine as i had set the width and height to my screens' resolution. However, when i looked at the site on a screen with a higher resolution, the web page was tiny and butted up to the corner.

gentleone
07-26-2011, 04:33 PM
You're right... I'm also a bit confused what the OP really wants, but even if a responsive design would be the answer for him/her then it's way above his/her head considering his/her exporting from Photoshop to HTML :)