PDA

View Full Version : new web site - aesthetics & seo feedback please

JBD
07-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi, I'm trying to put together a design for my web site and I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm trying to strike a balance between it looking appealing and also optimised for search engines. There is perhaps a lot more copy text than I'd generally opt for but figured this would help from an seo point of view...

constructive criticism is what I'm looking for :)

http://jonballdesign.co.uk/SV-website-idea-2011.html

Many thanks!

JBD

domedia
07-22-2011, 12:39 AM
In general I would say if you design for search engines, you'l lose in the long run. The home page is pretty massive (content), and I'm not sure that's the best idea.

The color scheme is very nice.

You might want to rethink the architecture, and focus more on products and product categories.

edbr
07-22-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm trying to strike a balance between it looking appealing and also optimised for search engines i think thats ok . much of your content is a repeat of your links ie testimonials, restorations who you supply to etc how to order, I would maybe suggest more focus on the product images, maybe a rotating image of them, as this is what you want for your customers, but in all i think its looks good

Corrosive
07-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Love the look of it but agree with the others that the copy is far too much on the page. Really strip it back and focus on key search terms that you can later text link back to from articles/news.

The showroom looks amazing! Whereabouts in Bristol is it? I could spend hours poking round there.

JBD
07-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Much appreciated guys :) My instinct always tells me to go for minimal text with visually appealing imagery so I'm glad you all agree. I think it's because I've read that adding plenty of content rich text with keys words on the homepage is good for SEO... Happily I'll lose all the unnecessary jargon (and use on the appropriate pages) and add some bigger images/slideshow.

Ha unfortunately that showroom isn't ours. We've just took on another unit which we're renovating into a showroom next month... The pic is from a company in the states which I borrowed for my mock up ;)

edbr
07-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I think it's because I've read that adding plenty of content rich text with keys words on the homepage is good for SEO..
that is ok but dont over do it at the cost of real visitors. think about 2 or 3 major words /phrases and try to incorporate them in a real way. i believe this is a better approach

JBD
07-23-2011, 04:17 PM
updated design - the main image will be a javascript slideshow

http://jonballdesign.co.uk/SV-website-idea2-2011.html

Any thoughts welcome :)

gentleone
07-24-2011, 02:46 AM
It needs IMO quite some white space. Everything is so crammed at each other. I don't know where to look.

JBD
07-24-2011, 02:14 PM
I've been developing the design to try and come up with something with the same amount of information but easier on the eye (I agree that more white space was needed). It's a fine balance between presenting enough information and a minimalist design.

http://jonballdesign.co.uk/SV-website-idea3-2011.html

Any thoughts?

I'm hoping to use a Javascript slideshow similar to that found on the Apple site though I've never attempted anything involving Javascript or JQuery so wondering how best to achieve this?

I'd possibly also like to rotate the 5 boxes at the bottom using Javascript so as to be able to display more promotions etc...

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Ricky55
07-25-2011, 09:38 PM
I agree with Gentle it does look too cramped it also lacks visual hierarchy you are not pointing to the reader where to look.

I'd have the products as the main menu as the secondary stuff like about us and news and events in the side menu. Its the wrong way around.

I would also make the main menu larger and perhaps use a different colour for the side menu to help make it look different.

I quite like the header and footer area but the main content area needs some work. The main image is too large and I don't like the main text stuff to the right. The western eye reads left to right and it seems wrong to have the text to the right.

I would re-arrange this main content area and give your type some breathing room. Your type line length is too short for that amount of text and the line height needs increasing slightly.

HTH

JBD
07-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks for your comments. Not sure I agree with the menu being the wrong way around as for our business the top menu is very important. I have however tried to emphasis the category menu (as suggested) by making it more prominent. I think the curve on the orange bar also helps to soften the layout and compliments the top icons.

I've also adjusted the main content as suggested though personally I don't see there being a problem with the image to the left and text to the right - Ikea, Habitat and M&S all do the same. The images are the most important thing so I feel this should be central with the menu and text column adding a visual frame either side.

http://jonballdesign.co.uk/SV-website-idea4-2011.html

edbr
07-27-2011, 12:42 AM
looks better to me. i wonder if you where to make the background gradient a little lighter or lghter higher up it would look better or maybe more 'steel' like. just a suggestion :)

JBD
08-08-2011, 10:45 PM
My new website is now live - still adding and tweaking here and there but any feedback appreciated.

www.steelvintage.com (http://www.steelvintage.com)

JBD
08-08-2011, 10:47 PM
I know the top five boxes do not fully align horizontally in IE6 so any help on this would be good.

Corrosive
08-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Wow, that was quick work dude! Looks good to me. Only thing I would say is that some of the headers are getting lost behind the black > grey gradient on the background when the text stretches down. For example; http://www.steelvintage.com/delivery.html struggled to read 'worldwide shipping' and 'packaging' titles.

Also the headers should really be in h tags. For example;

<p class="style3">Delivery</p>

should be more like;

<h2>Delivery</h2>

JBD
08-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeh spent many hours this week in front of my computer but I'm pleased with it. My first attempt of a website in over a year!

#SVtop-icons {
float: right;
display:inline;
width: 480px;
height: 96px;
margin-left: 0px;
margin-right:0px;
margin-bottom:0px;
margin-top:0px;
padding: 0px;
border: 0px;
font-size: 0;
text-decoration: none;
text-indent:0;
}

I'm still having trouble with the way some PC web browsers display the top 5 icons. In particular IE6 & IE7 for some reason drop the icons down a line. Is their an issue with padding?