PDA

View Full Version : horizontal menu formatting

bobmoo79
07-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Hello,
I am a new user to Dreamweaver CS5 and have been putting together a site, but I can't get the Spry menu to behave how I would like. I have tried tutorials and searched the internet but haven't been able to correct the problem myself, so I bow to your superior knowledge and wondered whether any kind soul could take pity on me and help sort this out?

The site is here:

www.freedom-poole.co.uk (http://www.freedom-poole.co.uk)

I would like a blue (#003366) background to appear behind all menu items when the mouse pointed is over them. However this only works when the top level item has a sub menu (see 'What we do' menu item).
While I'm asking, I'd also like the submenu items to appear slightly to the left of where they appear now so that they are only slightly offset from the related top level item. In Dreamweaver 'Live' it displays just fine but not in a real browser.

Can anybody help?

Many thanks,
Bob

@charset "UTF-8";
/* SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css - version 0.6 - Spry Pre-Release 1.6.1 */
/* Copyright (c) 2006. Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved. */
/************************************************** *****************************
LAYOUT INFORMATION: describes box model, positioning, z-order
************************************************** *****************************/
/* The outermost container of the Menu Bar, an auto width box with no margin or padding */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal
{
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
list-style-type: none;
font-size: 100%;
cursor: default;
width: auto;
text-align: center;
font-family: XoxoxaRegular;
}
/* Set the active Menu Bar with this class, currently setting z-index to accomodate IE rendering bug: http://therealcrisp.xs4all.nl/meuk/IE-zindexbug.html */
ul.MenuBarActive
{
z-index: 1000;
}
/* Menu item containers, position children relative to this container and are a fixed width */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal li
{
position: relative;
cursor: pointer;
width: 124px;
float: left;
}
/* Submenus should appear below their parent (top: 0) with a higher z-index, but they are initially off the left side of the screen (-1000em) */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul
{
position: absolute;
left: -1000em;
}
/* Submenu that is showing with class designation MenuBarSubmenuVisible, we set left to auto so it comes onto the screen below its parent menu item */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible
{
left: auto;
}
/* Menu item containers are same fixed width as parent */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul li
{
}
/* Submenus should appear slightly overlapping to the right (95%) and up (-5%) */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul ul
{
margin: 0 0 0 50%;
}
/* Submenu that is showing with class designation MenuBarSubmenuVisible, we set left to 0 so it comes onto the screen */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible
{
top: 0;
}
/************************************************** *****************************
DESIGN INFORMATION: describes color scheme, borders, fonts
************************************************** *****************************/
/* Submenu containers have borders on all sides */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul
{
border: 1px solid #CCC;
}
/* Menu items are a light gray block with padding and no text decoration */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal a
{
display: block;
background-color: #EEE;
padding: 0.5em 0.75em;
color: #006;
text-decoration: none;
background-image: url(/images/bground.gif);
}
/* Menu items that have mouse over or focus have a blue background and white text */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal a:hover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a:focus,
ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemHover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarSubmenuVisible
{
background-color: #003366;
color: #F00;
}
SUBMENU INDICATION: styles if there is a submenu under a given menu item
/* Menu items that have a submenu have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenu and are set to use a background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenu
{
background-repeat: repeat-x;
background-position: 95% 50%;
}
/* Menu items that have a submenu have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenu and are set to use a background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul a.MenuBarItemSubmenu
{
}
/* Menu items that are open with submenus have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenuHover and are set to use a "hover" background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover
{
background-image: url(SpryMenuBarDownHover.gif);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
}
/* Menu items that are open with submenus have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenuHover and are set to use a "hover" background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover
{
background-image: url(SpryMenuBarRightHover.gif);
}
BROWSER HACKS: the hacks below should not be changed unless you are an expert
/* HACK FOR IE: to make sure the sub menus show above form controls, we underlay each submenu with an iframe */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal iframe
{
z-index: 1010;
filter:alpha(opacity:0.1);
}
/* HACK FOR IE: to stabilize appearance of menu items; the slash in float is to keep IE 5.0 from parsing */
@media screen, projection
{
ul.MenuBarHorizontal li.MenuBarItemIE
{
display: inline;
f\loat: left;
background: #FFF;
}
}

DWcourse
07-18-2011, 05:52 PM
In this rule you set a background image

ul.MenuBarHorizontal a
{
background-color: #EEE;
color: #006;
}

And in this rule you change the background color but don't override the background image

ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemHover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarSubmenuVisible
{
color: #F00;
}

So, in the second rule you need to either set the background-image property to none OR use the background property (which resets all background related properties to the default) like this background: #003366;

bobmoo79
07-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks, I have now managed to sort out the blue background. In the end I used a second background image for the hover state. At the moment it's just plain blue, but at some point, when I get more time I'll replace it with something different.

However, I'm still having trouble positioning the second level menu items so that they appear in the correct position in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. If I correct the positioning in one browser it throws off the position in the other.

I can't figure out how to sort this out.
Can you help with this??

@charset "UTF-8";
/* SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css - version 0.6 - Spry Pre-Release 1.6.1 */
/* Copyright (c) 2006. Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved. */
LAYOUT INFORMATION: describes box model, positioning, z-order
/* The outermost container of the Menu Bar, an auto width box with no margin or padding */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal
{
width: 124;
}
/* Set the active Menu Bar with this class, currently setting z-index to accomodate IE rendering bug: http://therealcrisp.xs4all.nl/meuk/IE-zindexbug.html */
ul.MenuBarActive
{
}
/* Menu item containers, position children relative to this container and are a fixed width */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal li
{
position: relative;
float: left;
}
/* Submenus should appear below their parent (top: 0) with a higher z-index, but they are initially off the left side of the screen (-1000em) */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul
{
left: -1000em;
margin-top: -5%;
margin-right: 0%;
margin-bottom: 0%;
margin-left: -40%;
}
/* Submenu that is showing with class designation MenuBarSubmenuVisible, we set left to auto so it comes onto the screen below its parent menu item */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible
{
}
/* Menu item containers are same fixed width as parent */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul li
{
}
/* Submenus should appear slightly overlapping to the right (95%) and up (-5%) */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul ul
{
margin-top: 5%;
margin-right: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 45%;
}
/* Submenu that is showing with class designation MenuBarSubmenuVisible, we set left to 0 so it comes onto the screen */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible
{
top: 0;
}
DESIGN INFORMATION: describes color scheme, borders, fonts
/* Submenu containers have borders on all sides */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul
{
border: 1px solid #CCC;
}
/* Menu items are a light gray block with padding and no text decoration */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal a
{
color: #003366;
line-height: normal;
top: 0px;
left: 0px;
right: 0px;
bottom: 0px;
}
/* Menu items that have mouse over or focus have a blue background and white text */
{
color: #FFF;
background-image: url(/images/bgroundselect.gif);
line-height: normal;
}
SUBMENU INDICATION: styles if there is a submenu under a given menu item
ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenu
{
}
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul a.MenuBarItemSubmenu
{
}
ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover
{
}
ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover
{
}
BROWSER HACKS: the hacks below should not be changed unless you are an expert
/* HACK FOR IE: to make sure the sub menus show above form controls, we underlay each submenu with an iframe */
ul.MenuBarHorizontal iframe
{
z-index: 1010;
filter:alpha(opacity:0.1);
}
/* HACK FOR IE: to stabilize appearance of menu items; the slash in float is to keep IE 5.0 from parsing */
@media screen, projection
{
ul.MenuBarHorizontal li.MenuBarItemIE
{
display: inline;
f\loat: left;
background: #FFF;
}
}