PDA

View Full Version : New here, new to DW, not new to the fire

dbepp
07-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I am the purchasing manager for a company that does not have an IT person.. I love to learn new things so when I was asked to check out the email server, as it was down, I figured out how to get it back up within the hour. SOME HOW, they equated that to web design/development. So here I am asked if I can build not 4, but 5 websites for their product lines!! I've never been one to turn down a challenge.. (and hopeful pay raise) However, I'm not one for cliches but talk about jumping in head first! (do NOT do that in a pool, haha.. industry joke, but seriously don't do it.. read our safety page www.onlytrimax.com/safety.html (http://www.onlytrimax.com/safety.html))
Anyway, after many tutorials and a few books, I have a good basis to our sites (I think).. But as I learn I would like to help others as some of you have already helped me! In my opinion, the greatest thing to assist the common man is another's experience. Thanks

domedia
07-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Great to have you here dbapp! 8)

d a v e
07-15-2011, 02:04 PM
welcome - if you would like any pointers on your pool page feel free to ask ;)

dbepp
07-15-2011, 02:06 PM
welcome - if you would like any pointers on your pool page feel free to ask ;)

Please do. I'm open to anything!

Corrosive
07-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the forum. Free pools all round!

dbepp
07-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Welcome to the forum. Free pools all round!
haha, at least all the construction components to build an inground pool!

d a v e
07-15-2011, 05:34 PM
your pool shapes diagrams should be gifs or 8-bit pngs - they are overcompress jpegs at the moment. jpegs for photos and complex gradients and gif(8-bit png for everything else (well pretty much :) )

i've written a few bits here and moved one or two bits around as suggestions. white sapce is good but your page is long and i think it might better utilise the space in the way i've shown

http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/pool.jpg

actually i would try and make the home and about us bit part of the main navigation if you can ;)

d a v e
07-15-2011, 06:21 PM
oh can't edit my message anymore but anyway - pool shapes might need to be jpegs if the gradients dont come out smooth with gif/png but don't use as much compression as before ;)

dbepp
07-15-2011, 07:22 PM
I'll definitely make those changes on the pictures! And I'll bring up the other suggestions when the boss gets back in the office. I like the idea of reducing as much white space as possible.. also, making the text real instead of a picture will definitely be a must. In order to save time, I simply used pictures from our elec. brochure.. But thanks for the tips Dave! :mrgreen:

domedia
07-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Too many images. I have to scroll down a whole page until I can read about safety. Safety first, then images ;-)

dbepp
07-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Safety first, then images ;-)
haha, right!