PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver saving as MXML- why?

cavaricooper
07-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi-

I did search.......no joy.....so-
I am opening one index.html file in Dreamweaver 5.5 (Mac), saving as index800.html and that's it. The icon changes, default file type becomes MXML and the icon tab color changes from green to grey. I have looked in Dreamweaver preferences and everything I see is selected correctly- PLEASE HELP! I can't seem to find the answer locally.

Ta!

Carl

DWcourse
07-13-2011, 08:06 PM
If it's an existing file, then it's probably claiming to be an MXML file in the code. What's the source look like?

mwilder
08-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi, Cavicooper,

Same thing happened to me. The only reference on the Web I can find to this problem is yours right here.

Once you install CS 5.5 on a Mac, the system thereafter associates .htm and .html files with Adobe Flash Builder (as an MXML file).

Scanning the file shows absolutely nothing different about the file itself. It is still plain text with HTML code.

I was able to solve the problem, however.

Simply "Get Info" on any HTML file. One of the options is to "Open with:"

If you're in the same boat as me, it should be set to open with Adobe Flash Builder. Instead, set the HTML file to be opened with Adobe Dreamweaver CS 5.5 (or your favorite HTML editor) or to Safari.

Click the "Change All..." button.

Voila! All of your HTML documents are now associated with the correct applications.

I hope this help!

DWcourse
08-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Very weird error, I've installed CS5.5 on a couple of Mac without this issue. But I have seen a Mac get confused about which application to use open certain document types (and occasionally an application will "steal" a file type). The solution mwilder gives is the way to deal with the issue and can be used with any file type and application (not just Dreamweaver).