PDA

View Full Version : New Link not working

Hania
07-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Hiya peeps, have been having problems with a new link I have created on www.wavecrestscuba.com pages. On the bottom of the page is a small section for offers we have, I entered a second option for a different suppliers offers and while I have synched the site and the page http://www.wavecrestscuba.com/01HMC/01shop/Summer.html
was uploaded the links do not work on any page. Is it a div issue to seperate the links or something else I have missed?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

edbr
07-11-2011, 07:26 AM
<a href"01HMC/01shop/Summer.html">Wavecrest's Summer Deal Click Here</a> should be
<a href="01HMC/01shop/Summer.html">Wavecrest's Summer Deal Click Here</a>

d a v e
07-11-2011, 12:02 PM
incidentally, no-one bothers putting validation buttons on their site anymore ;) and when they did they made sure they were valid sites.

that all bold main copy text is hard to read - bold should be used to emphasis small parts of your text, not all of it - have you thought of trying normal text in say #e0e0e0?
change the css to this if you want to
.post {
padding-bottom: 15px;
line-height: normal;
border-bottom: 1px #2C4449 solid;
font-weight: normal;
text-align: center;
font-size: 14px;
}

and you could do with some padding around your images too ;) e.g on the team page (http://www.wavecrestscuba.com/01HMC/03theteam/team.html) and don't underline text that isn't a link.

Corrosive
07-11-2011, 12:50 PM
#e0e0e0

If old MacDonald had a hex value, that would be it.

Hania
07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
<a href"01HMC/01shop/Summer.html">Wavecrest's Summer Deal Click Here</a> should be
<a href="01HMC/01shop/Summer.html">Wavecrest's Summer Deal Click Here</a>

Thank You so much, I can't believe I missed that one, shows I shouldn't do things like this when only a few minutes before I go out.

Hania
07-11-2011, 08:20 PM
incidentally, no-one bothers putting validation buttons on their site anymore ;) and when they did they made sure they were valid sites.

that all bold main copy text is hard to read - bold should be used to emphasis small parts of your text, not all of it - have you thought of trying normal text in say #e0e0e0?
change the css to this if you want to
.post {
padding-bottom: 15px;
line-height: normal;
border-bottom: 1px #2C4449 solid;
font-weight: normal;
}

and you could do with some padding around your images too ;) e.g on the team page (http://www.wavecrestscuba.com/01HMC/03theteam/team.html) and don't underline text that isn't a link.

Thank You, I see what you mean after testing it, looks so much better now without such a bright text, was preset like that as is a free template for speed in getting it up and running for my friend.

When you say padding around images, I presume that can be done in CSS else it would be lots of &nbsp; within the text as I have on other pages, what is the best way to put the padding around the images?

Hania
07-12-2011, 05:11 AM
Dave Thanks for the advice, sorted the hspace thing just now. Was a long day yesterday, out diving for about 10 hours and didn't think about it till I woke up a little while ago.

Back to something you said about validation, the first page was the only page I had validated and at the time it was 0 errors in the html and 1 in the CSS and as you can imagine I was pleased to have sorted out a template with so many errors (had 11 html if I recall) and was going to work through the rest.

Would like to say Thank You to Dave and edbr and anyone else that gives a few moments of their time to help us noobs, the help you guys on this site give is by far one of the best on the internet.

d a v e
07-12-2011, 07:20 AM
you can make a class and apply it to the images
so in your stlye sheet:
.imgpadding {margin:0 20px 10px 0;}

then apply that to each image
(numbers go in the order top right bottom left)

OR easier way

#content img {margin:0 20px 10px 0;}

which will target every img in the content div and apply the margins to it automatically

Hania
07-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks again Dave, I like the easier way, looks much better with a small gap, 5 px used.

On the links for the offers at the bottom of the page they shrink when you mouse over, theyt are meant to be heading 2 size, is there anything I can do to change it shrinking?

d a v e
07-12-2011, 09:01 PM
remove the bold line from this

a:hover {
border-bottom: none;
color: #BDBDBD;
text-decoration: underline;
}

Hania
07-12-2011, 11:05 PM
removed it and all is OK now, many Thanks again Dave.

d a v e
07-13-2011, 06:58 AM
great. one more thing while i'm here... your banner is 438kb which is pretty hefty - putting it on the background and saving that as a jpeg brings it down to about 58kb

http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/wcbanner.jpg
you can simply replace the png with this jpeg and your site will load faster ;)

Hania
07-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks for pointing that out, quite an important but tiny detail I thought would be OK but the reason it is that pic format is the transparent layer to keep the corners round, the original I have in gimp will not save as anything else without losing it. Compressing it I can only get it down to 400kb in the same format, if it changes format while compressing from original it loses the transparency.

Which site/page did you use to compress it so I can try from the original?

d a v e
07-13-2011, 10:55 AM
i took it from the homepage - don't need the original because 24-bit png is lossless (i.e. no information is lost, whereas in jpeg information is thrown away)

i took a screen shot of your image then cropped it out to the right size and saved it as a jpeg - this works because then it has the background behind the rounded corners in the image itself, without needing to be transparent

the image i attached is ready to put on the site as is - try it and see ;)

Hania
07-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks for that Dave, taking the time to go to that trouble is appreciated, I cropped the edges a little more so it kinda looks like it did before now, it had a small line either side when I tried it.

If you come over this way I believe a night out will be on me ;)

d a v e
07-14-2011, 10:09 AM
you' welcome. i've never been to cornwall but it would be great to go! i used to get pretty travel/car sick when i was young, even 20 miles was arduous for me :)

Hania
07-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Cornwall is a beautiful place and worth the visit, the closest I have been to Finland is Bergen in Norway and that was breathtaking but I always come home ;)

domedia
07-15-2011, 12:45 PM
I've been to Penzance and Land's End. Beautiful area. I also remember this island in Cornwall you could walk to when the tide was down, but I forgot the name of it.

Hania
07-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I think you mean St Michael's Mount domedia, yes that is a beautiful place as well and is a great drift dive along the beach.

If anyone on this site that has helped with my probs in the past and the future does come down this way would be a pleasure to show you what makes me stay here :)

Corrosive
07-15-2011, 03:17 PM
show you what makes me stay here :)

Is it because the roads out are bloody terrible? :wink:

Hania
07-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Is it because the roads out are bloody terrible? :wink:

lol we do that because it puts people off, rubbish network, traffic jams back up to Bristol lol We love it (but a few do get through the net)

Corrosive
07-16-2011, 07:06 AM
lol we do that because it puts people off, rubbish network, traffic jams back up to Bristol lol We love it (but a few do get through the net)

Yep, know about that. Our studio is in Bristol and I live in Portishead. The traffic on Fridays is terrible in the summer.