PDA

View Full Version : Two questions?

walkerneo
06-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Should I use a template? I'm creating my first website, so I'm completely new to everything. I have a navigation bar that I want on all the pages, so I would assume that a template would be good, but I can't seem to find anyone else who uses them... How do the "pros" do it? Do they update every page manually, or is there some other alternative?

Also, I have some pictures that link to downloads that resize when the mouse hovers over them. I did this by making a div and setting the background to the smaller picture and the dimensions to match the picture. Then I changed the mouse hover rule to change the dimensions to that of the larger image and to change the background to the larger image. The two problems I have with this is that I have to have two pictures and manually set the dimensions for each, and when the picture is small, the link area is the size of the larger picture, when it should only be that size when the mouse hovers. I would assume there is some sort of script that would just scale the picture when the mouse isn't hovering over it, but I couldn't find anything.

Any help guys?

gentleone
06-27-2011, 11:27 PM
I'd recommend to look into PHP includes for menus and such, but if you're building a site that you want to update easily then dwt files might be a solution especially if you have Adobe Contribute. I never worked with .dwt files myself, so I can't give you the pros and cons.

If your site is going to be content heavy then a CMS (WordPress, Drupal, ModX or even bloody Joomla) behind it would be a start.