PDA

View Full Version : cms/forum software

Eliteoomph
06-21-2011, 03:34 AM
I wanted to get your guys take on the different types of forum software out there.

As far as forum software goes I here that these are some of the best:

FREE

SMF
phpbb

PAID

IPBoard
vBulletin (the software used here)

CMS Forum software

wordpress
drupal
joomla

Here are some of the pluses I see of using cms forum software (from what I have read)
SEO
more templates
more admin options
modules
basically better customization

I have worked with these 3 CMS programs just a little bit and they seem a little messy to me for lack of a better word...

I also had some security problems caused by a template I installed with wordpress...

Now to the free forum software

I here good things about SMF and phpbb. They are both pretty good and very popular but I don't mind paying a little bit more to get vbulletin if I can justify the cost.

If I was to set up my forum using SMF and then down the road I decided to switch to vBulletin would this be a problem? Can I convert from one software easily to the next and still keep all my post?

so many questions...

Corrosive
06-21-2011, 07:30 AM
We use Modx as a CMS because you simply port your HTML/CSS into it so there are no templates to hack/alter. Give it a try :)

As for forum software I'd pay for it if I were you. Domedia is considering moving this forum to XenForo. We had a play with it a few weeks ago and it looks very good.

Eliteoomph
06-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks! I am going to check those both out right now!

Eliteoomph
06-21-2011, 07:43 AM
checking out the demo of xenforo now... very attractive interface!

Corrosive
06-21-2011, 08:08 AM
checking out the demo of xenforo now... very attractive interface!

Yep, agreed. The GUI is very slick indeed.

domedia
06-21-2011, 01:53 PM
wikipedia has a comparison of all mayor forums out there. Might be a good idea to check if you have requirements.

DWcourse
06-21-2011, 06:42 PM
I'd be VERY interested in how things go if you do switch to Xenforo.

derickwilliams
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi,
Thanks for all the nice updates.