PDA

View Full Version : Can someone test my site and help me with some bugs?

SaveMyi
06-16-2011, 01:24 AM
My site: http://www.savemyi.com/home.html , is having some issues... First of all, this is my first time learning and making a website. So I am totally new here. Now, I have blue lines outlining several of my images on internet explorer. I also noticed that the background isn't fitting to the whole window. Can you guys help me fix that and also help me out by testing it on your web browsers? I appreciate it so much! Thanks!!!

-Coded on mac with Dreamweaver CS5. Tested on Safari.

*edit* I found how to fix the blue boarder. But the rest I still need help on. Also, do you guys like the design of my site? It's still in beta, but I'd like some opinions. :)

domedia
06-16-2011, 03:06 AM
I think the design is nice, maybe a tad dark for my liking, but everything seems to work together. As a first website I think it looks great.

That being said, this is not a website in the true meaning of a website. You've put together some images and linked some of them. There no text or accessibility for assisted technologies, machines or search engines.

johnMoss
06-16-2011, 03:17 AM
I'll agree, for a first site you've done good. BUT.... :( your code is a mess....
For starters you've got a rogue h1 tag at line 187 or so wreaking havoc on your flow. Validation is a great tool to use to catch yourself on errors. Go to http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input and paste your html into it. Don't fret, you'll see a big pile of errors, many of which will disappear upon removal of the h1. Start with this, and it'll help a bunch.

domedia
06-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Just a little word of wisdom here (I can say this now because I will soon be ancient in web designer years ;-) )

Be careful about putting too much weight on validation or validation services. Validating this page for example will return 50% false positives. Do the same with the source of Google's homepage and I'll bet you you get the same thing. I would also put money on that out of the 100 most popular websites, none validate according to w3c. And honestly, w3c validation does not matter that much in the real world.

Don't get me wrong. I strive for valid pages, but it does not automatically mean that there is a problem with the site. There is specifically some errors related to what you mention, h1, center, spans that are mixed, but those should probably be dealt with specifically. And none of those fixes, or the ones reported by w3c will do anything with the accessibility issues.

johnMoss
06-16-2011, 04:08 AM
All very true; but as an initial resource in understanding why things cause problems, do you not think it a good elementary tool?

SaveMyi
06-16-2011, 04:14 AM
You guys rock. This forum is such a different community compared to some of the other ones I am a member of. Many of them are "Trolls" and extremely disrespectful. Thank you all for your compliments. I appreciate it a lot! I have been working on the site for about a month, on and off. I agree, my code is an absolute mess and as soon as I get some time to organize it, I will. What is this validate thing? Thanks for your input everyone! I have created another page, a Contact page. Does it look good? http://www.savemyi.com/Contact.php

johnMoss
06-16-2011, 01:53 PM
I have to yield to Jim on the validation, his experience is vastly superior to mine. My intent is for you to get a grasp on what goes & what doesn't in coding, and validation is a step in that direction. Validation simply means that rules as set forth in the www consortium are being followed in terms of code structure, but he is absolutely correct in pointing out false positives. Why that is I don't know. In learning though, trial & error is pretty much how everyone starts out, and it's tantamount to a manual in one hand, & a keyboard in the other :)

d a v e
06-16-2011, 02:36 PM
the contact icon comes over the Welcome to... text firefox 4 win vista.

the highlights (e.g. logo) and the drop shadows are too blunt (as in in sntrument :) )

use more subtle drop shadows and gradients and take the shadow off the tiny text in your logo (why not make that the full width of the logo? all the way to the left side of the logo perhaps?
the shadow you have on the main text of the logo is about right but remove the ones from the phone number and welcome text, put some subtle shadows on the iphones

footer text is too small.

footeris just a white empty band

use real text not an image - more accessible, and open to the search engines

favicon

domedia
06-16-2011, 08:11 PM
I think the Contact Us page looked great. There is an issue with the phone number though. Try re-sizing your browser to different sizes and see what happens.

About validation.
I could not develop without some validation tool. I use the ones I get in my browsers. This will let me know if I have accidentally forgotten to close a tag or if there's some other serious error. It's a tool to get to what really is important; that the site works as intended for the visitor. In that respect, the w3c validation almost becomes irrelevant.