PDA

View Full Version : Pre Load Coding and file type/size to reduce loading time

shane.n
06-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi

I've recently built a website (shanenoonan.co.uk) on dreamweaver it takes a long time to load.

I was told about a pre load coding which would load my name, contact details and thumbnails before the big images. I was wondering how I do this and what the coding is for it.

I'm also wondering if there is a way of reducing the file sizes of my images to improve the load time. At the moment the images are at 72dpi, rgb, 756x567 pixels and then saved as a jpg.

If anyone knows another way of reducing the load time, I'm all ears and would really appreciate it!

Thanks

domedia
06-16-2011, 02:41 AM
You need to optimize the JPG for the web when you're making them. There's no preloading needed, you just need to create images that are meant for the web.

I didn't load the site completely (it took to long :-( ) but from the top of the image I saw, I think anything between 51%-70% optimization should work.

This means you have to compromise just a tad in image quality, but that is the reality of the medium we're working with here :)

And welcome to the forums!

d a v e
06-16-2011, 06:48 AM
your thumbnails are way too big too at around 18kb each - they should be about 5-6 kb - what graphics app are you using and are you saving/exporting for web and devices or simply saving as jpeg?

try this too http://www.smushit.com/ysmush.it/

edit: you don't need to touch the dpi (you mean ppi of course) it's irrelevant for screen use and screen filesize
edit 2: all those text bits saved as images should be gifs.